Benson Middle Students "AVID" Scholars

Discussion in 'Johnston County School News' started by Webmaster, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

AVID Students Opt to Set Higher Goals
    Individual Determination Key to Success Now and After Graduation

BENSON-- At Benson Middle School, Cornell notes, three-ring binder notebooks that are used as organizers, AVID Alerts, and Tutorial Request Forms are part of the students' and staff's everyday vocabulary. For the 36 sixth through eighth grade students who are participating in the AVID program at the school, those words have not only broadened their vocabulary, but their horizons. They are bound for college, whereas last year, they may not have thought twice about it.

The students were chosen to participate in AVID, a program with an ultimate goal of sending its participants to college and giving them the academic preparation need to get there. One of the pre-requisites: in order to get on the college track, the students had to agree to take rigorous courses.

"I think I can do it," said one student. "I know I can do it," another quickly said during a class one day.

Brittany Sellers slowly raised her hand with a sly grin when the class was asked, "Who among you would consider him or herself unorganized?" But neatly in front of her sat her three-ring binder notebook that she had taken the time to decorate and personalize so that it stood out from all the others. She proudly showed a visitor where her Cornell notes were, how she now used the dividers that come with a notebook, and how preparation and organization can save one in a crunch: "If I forget my textbook, I can refer to my Cornell notes."

These students of AVID, which is an acronym for Advancement Via Individual Determination, are the empirical evidence that proves that one's determination to succeed will outweigh any obstacles or personal barriers. Celebrating its 25th Anniversary, AVID has provided countless higher education opportunities to students across the nation and internationally who otherwise may not have considered college an option. AVID students are hand-picked by their counselors and teachers based on their leadership potential and academic capability, parents are notified of the prospective opportunity, and interviews and applications are completed before the students are chosen. Students themselves determine whether or not they are up to the challenge to participate within the AVID program. Not only are they taught higher-order thinking skills, but academic debate and knowledge sharing is encouraged. In addition, teacher buy-in is critical: a student's success is enhanced when a teacher sets high expectations, according to Dr. Chris Godwin, Director of Middle School Curriculum.

At Benson Middle, a site team led by teacher Wesley Rich, was trained to facilitate the program. Site team members include: Barry Honeycutt, Principal, Linda Bazemore, Counselor, Shelly Cook, Megan Shaner, Maryilyn White, Johnnie Elmore, Jennifer Camp, teachers, and Wesley Rich, AVID Site Coordinator along with Dr. Chris Godwin, District Director for AVID. And tutors from Campbell University*education majors*provide assistance with the peer learning activities.

Eventually, Benson Middle's goal is to become a certified AVID school and serve as a demonstration site. They're well on their way.

Principal Barry Honeycutt said the entire student body has learned how to take and use Cornell Notes (Cornell Notes represents a process of taking notes that are composed of the lesson's main questions and the answer to the questions; the questions are strategically placed on the left and the answers are written on the right side of a sheet of paper) Also, every student uses a binder to organize work.

"AVID has unified our approach to how we manage our classrooms and the organization of our students. What a student learns and uses this year will be used next year. We have also introduced the higher levels of questioning and inquiry that we hope will change the academic rigor in all of our classes. AVID has made a huge difference in our students enrolled in our program. They are positive about school and excited about their new challenges. Our site team has worked extremely hard to get the program going in a positive direction. I applaud all of their efforts," said Honeycutt.

The efforts are paying off, according to the students.

"It's a fun, exciting way to learn," said student Jonathan Farmer.

That's the key to lifelong learning*and going to college.