Best way to kill ground hornets?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Jean S, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

OK, I am on the war path! My Std Poodle, Gracie just got stung by a ground hornet and I have declared the back yard off limits until I can get those evil things killed. Reading on line about waiting till dark then pouring gas down the hole and setting it on fire. Kinda scared to do that as I believe the hornets are in the wooded area and it has lots of leaves and trees. Not completely sure where the nest is, just know she can running back from the wooded area, crying & holding her foot up and the hornet fell off of her foot onto the ground. That is how I know what stung her. do I wait till dusk to go find out where the nest is? Online advises to wait till dusk dark as that is when they are inactive, but I need them to be active to find the nest. never dealt with ground hornets before... HELP! I hear they are really aggressive...

2. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

I'm about to get flamed royally, but...

Why is your precious little doggie's life more valuable than the lives of the ground hornets? They are not doing anything but existing in what was probably their property before you came along. Now, because your little sweet fru-fru got herself stungy-wungy, you decide to kill off dozens, if not hundreds, of God's creatures. It's not as if the hornets came out guns blazing looking for a fight. They were just minding their own business and were protecting themselves from the big hairy monster that had come sniffing around their home.

My advice, for what it's worth, tie up your little mutt, or fence off the area where the hornets nest and keep your dog from bothering them.

3. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Just when I thought I had seen it all. :lol:

4. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

oh no! poor pup!

Burning them is the best way for sure. We just burnt up hundreds of the bas-My Friend. They are of no use. I hate them.

5. VolleyGrl

VolleyGrl Well-Known Member

Pretty sure one of those SOBs stung me the other day (and if it wasn't then it was some other little stinging SOB so I still have no sympathy!). Go get 'em girl! :cheers:

6. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Wow, I thought I clicked on the "Lady Doctor" thread. When I read this response I had to back out and double check. It makes more sense now.....

7. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Gasoline and stuff the hole with cloth then drench some more....let it dry on the outside step back and let her fire!

8. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Don't use gas!!!!!

It kills everything else too and gets into the ground water (are you on a well?).

All you need is a paving stone and some biodegradable hornet killer from Lowe's. Find out where the nest is by following the buggers home, then wait until dusk. It is a two person job, but can be done with one if you are fairly coordinated. Set the paving stone on it's end behind the hole. Spray the hell out of the opening of the hole for as long as you can. Once they start to swarm out drop the paving stone over the hole. They'll keep crawling out, but will be unable to get far due to the stone. They die off under the stone with all the chemicals. Basically the stone just traps them in the entrance where all the chemicals are.

9. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestions of burning the nest. And the other option by Harvey. If I can find it, I will definately take care of it! I have walked the yard over and over looking for any sign of it but cannot find them anywhere. Starting to wonder if it was a lone hornet in the grass that Poor Gracie just happened to have the bad luck of stepping on as she was running to me. She is resting now with a good dose of Benedryl and a cold pack on her foot.

And Cliffy, go slither back under your rock.

10. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

Exactly!

11. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

What do you expect from someone who would take a life frivolously?

12. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

BIODEGRADEABLE.

13. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Why don't you go green...Du är en idiot

14. Wicked

Wicked Member

You don't even have to set it on fire. The gas alone usually kills them. I use it on fire ants as well. If you think they're dug in deep then maybe light 'em up.