Big Green Egg

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by gcoats3, Feb 12, 2012.

1. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

We've had one for years...............whatcha need to know? LOVE it!

Here is a couple pork butts we did a few weeks ago. The turned out very well. I won't eat a steak off anything else now. Ribs are to die for and DH makes chicken wings that are out of this world.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2012
  3. elims

elims Well-Known Member

A friend of mine has one, and LOVES it.

4. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Shoot, pic didn't show. I will fix when I get back home.

This is a pork loin:

[​IMG]

5. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Those bacon wrapped jalapeno's off your egg are excellent too! And she is right, the wings are to die for!

6. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

OK, had to fix my privacy settings, LOL

These are jalepeno poppers DH makes:

[​IMG]

7. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

This was the end result of those pork butts:

[​IMG]

8. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I haven't seen one of these Eggs yet, so this is an honest question, how is this better than a Webber? I have been using the Buoy (where the idea came from) for 30 years now and love them.

9. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Hught, I don't honestly know. We got one because we fell in love with them after another friend got one. I'd only ever had gas grills. This is a whole 'nother world. You use real charcoal, not briquettes (nasty). Eggs are ceramic (komodo style) and supposedly keep the moisture in better. That is probably debatable. You can do both "low and slow" cooking for things like the pork butts or I can crank it up to 750 degrees to sear steaks. I adore steaks off that thing, nothing better. However, DH and I both lost hairs doing that! :lol:

There is a whole group of folks who live for these things, they even have "Egg Fests" all over the country. We aren't that into it, but I can tell you it's more than paid for itself over the years because we don't eat out as much. With that said, I didn't get ours new, we lucked into one off CL because the guy was upgrading. We have a large now, I'd like to get a small to take camping with us.

There is a forum on the Egg website that is a wealth of information.

They use these a lot in competition bbq's too.

As long as you don't drop it, we should never have to replace it. We did replace the felt gasket last year, not a big deal.

Oh, and you can make pizza, bread, desserts, just about anything you would put in your oven, you can bake in the Egg.

10. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Thanks, the main differences it sounds like is that you use Charcoal, verses the briquettes I use, and that although mine is suppose to seal (stopped doing that about 5 years ago) it is made from steel.

If I ever replace my Webber, I might look at it.

11. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Can you purchase the charcoal locally? All I rember seeing are the briquettes.

12. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

13. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Yes, they sell the natural lump charcoal at Lowes, Hudson's and sometimes at Walmart. You absolutley cannot use briquettes in an Egg, the chemicals will ruin it.

BGE sells their own brand and it does last better, but it is $$$$. .

The nice think about the lump is that you can re-use it until it's completely burned up. No waste.

14. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

Capitol Pools up at 40/42 sells the Big Green Egg, charcoal and all the accessories. The seasonings are also wonderful-we love the Maple Seasoning, especially on chicken or steaks. The charcoal is a bit more expensive but lasts for a long long time and can be used over and over. I'm saving up for an Egg because we had some steaks and chicken on one at someone's house and it was the best I've ever had!

15. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

you can say that again, yummmm!!!

16. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

17. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

kdc

What size is your egg?

18. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Large.............. I wouldn't go any smaller than that for serious cooking.

19. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member