Bison meat?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by pbarefoot, Jan 16, 2013.

1. pbarefoot

pbarefoot Well-Known Member

I am thinking about trying bison meat and wondering if anyone has bought any locally and if so, where? There are a few bison farms in NC but none close to us (that I can find). So I would probably have to get it shipped to me, which all of the farms offer as an extra service on their website. Just wondering if you thought the taste was that much better. Nutritionally it is an amazing meat (more omega 3 than salmon and very low in calories) but it is expensive (9.50/lb). We don't eat much ground beef and rarely do we eat steaks (only when we eat out). So I thought that on the rare occassion we do, it might be good to try it. Just wanted opinions and suggestions.

Thanks!

pb

2. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Cheap compared to lobster at $14.99/lb

As for actually finding it check with some of the local stores that offer butcher services and they might have it or can get it. Or perhaps check with a resturant like TerraFin as they may be able to get you what you want as well.

3. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I'm pretty sure I've seen ground bison at the Kroger in Garner.

4. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

If you want to try the taste, I think Ruby Tuesday's at 40/42 still has bison burgers on the menu. I've had them several times and thought they were great.

A side note on lobster prices....was in Nova Scotia the first week of this month and they were selling local for $3.75/lb live, or $5.50/lb at the grocery store already cooked, still in shell. The supply is so large this year, it is driving down the prices. Some lobster fishermen have stopped going out because they can't make expenses at that rate. Would like to see those prices here! 8)

5. englishbullymom

englishbullymom Well-Known Member

I actually cook with bison meat instead of beef a lot now. I use it anytime I usually use ground beef-spaghetti sauce, chili, burgers, etc. I honestly can not tell a difference except it being leaner and having less fat to drain off. Even my uber picky hubs eats it because it smells like beef, cooks like beef and has the same texture/consistency. I buy mine at Whole Foods. I think it runs 11.50/lb there-Not cheap but I know it is quality. I buy all of my meats/chicken/seafood there. It costs a little more but I'm willing to pay to know I'm eating grass-fed meats with no antibiotics or growth hormones.

6. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

7. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

I've seen it at Kroger also.

8. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

9. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

I believe Harris Teeter has it and I know we used buy it at Trader Joes. Ted Turner has a restuarant based on bison. I think I saw one at South Point and there was one at Triangle Town Center, but I think it closed. DH loves it grilled says it's as good as any beef burger he's eaten. The key is to cook it fast and not over cook it.

10. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

I think I've seen at BJ's too.

11. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Yep, BJ's does carry it.