Breaking NEWS: 600 Jobs to be Created in Clayton: Novo Nordisk

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Webmaster, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

The Chairman of the Johnston County Board of Commissioners has called a special meeting of the Board of Commissioners for Wednesday, August 26, 2015 at 12:30 p.m. at the Johnston County Workforce Development Center, 135 Best Wood Drive, Clayton, North Carolina, including a joint meeting with the Clayton Town Council. A public hearing will be held as soon as possible after the meeting is called to order.

A company intends to construct production facilities and hire several hundred full-time employees to work there. The company has proposed locating the project in Johnston County in exchange for certain economic incentives....

Read full details in the JohnstonCounty.Today Local News Roundup.

Sherry A. likes this.
  2. youwish2bme

youwish2bme Well-Known Member

What no one is curious who it is?

3. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Since meeting is being held at at the Johnston County Workforce Development Center, 135 Best Wood Drive, Clayton, North Carolina, I am betting it is pharmaceutical industry. Meeting in the heart of other related companies. Land probably on Gordon Road that was recently rezoned. New industry in our area is always good news. More better paying jobs for our citizens.

4. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I wonder what kind of jobs they will be. I have been told with my AS degree I could do quality control.

5. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Rocky, that's all I had/have as a degree and it got me a start in Quality control. I then got my certification as a Quality Engineer through the American Society for Quality which then got me a QA Managers job.

PM me if you have any questions.

Sherry A. likes this.
  6. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

A little more info and what JoCo will be giving away to get these jobs: http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/community/smithfield-herald/article32270124.html

The secrecy is always funny to me, but I know why they do it (competition, land prices, etc.). Still, if the County is willing to lay out what the incentives are (i.e., tax payer money) then they should be willing to give more detail on what type of jobs this plans to attract. I know this is the purpose of the meeting, but if you detail the incentives out front, be willing to give the other side out front too (not just at the meeting). I am sure it is a good thing, but my concern is with growth. It'll be good to have jobs IN JoCo as opposed to people living here and commuting out, but there is also the tried and true concern about schools. So you're bringing in more jobs, which means more kids. But you're giving away tax dollars in order to do it that would possibly be spent on schools. Also, the incentive thing is supposed to add tax base. The incentives give breaks to create jobs and those jobs are supposed to bring tax revenue back in, but doesn't that mean the tax payer kind of gets it coming and going?

7. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

Novo Nordisk to create 600+ jobs at Clayton manufacturing facility — Novo Nordisk plans to develop a facility in Clayton and employ about 600 people in the creation of drugs to treat diabetes. The average wage would be more than $68,000.

Sherry A. likes this.
  8. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I wonder if they need any quality control folks. I have been told that with my AS degree could get me that kind of job. I graduated heavy in biology.

Sherry A. and Hught like this.
  9. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

CAn't make the meeting, but it sounds like the County is putting the appropriate clawbacks in the mix with the incentives. Devil is always in the details though.

10. barney726

barney726 Well-Known Member

"Options have been secured to acquire title to approximately 95 acres of real property in the County for the company’s future expansion"
    anyone know where this 95 acres is located?

11. youwish2bme

youwish2bme Well-Known Member

What's interesting is that I thought that they owned the field across the street already.... So where are the 95 acres is a good question...

12. gcoats3

Just heard I was correct. Novo building will be on Gordon Road.

13. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

I thought it was this land? So is the county buying it from Novo and then selling it back or something? Sounds fishy.

upload_2015-8-27_12-39-19.png

14. jesse82nc

This is everything Novo owns today:

upload_2015-8-27_12-41-52.png

15. gcoats3

I have been corrected. Apparently Novo is purchasing the Gordon Road property as a "construction lay down site". I believe Jesse is correct. Sorry!

16. jesse82nc

Currently they own 260+ acres of land there, and only about 50 acres of that is developed. It would seem strange for them to purchase more land. So which property on Gordon Road are they purchasing? That would be across the tracks from the bulk of their property.

Also which property is the county purchasing that is 95 acres?

17. jesse82nc

This is the only property I can find that is 95 acres and in that area. So is the county buying that land just so Novo can use it as a staging area?

upload_2015-8-27_12-57-31.png

18. gcoats3

I was advised the Gordon Road property to be used as ""construction lay down site" is the same property on the August 3, 2015, TOC Town Council Meeting agenda. http://www.townofclaytonnc.org/uplo...2015August3ClaytonTownCouncilAgendaPacket.pdf
    There were two tracts: Young Family Tract (60.48 ac.) and Wiggins Tract (45.73).
    Per my source the new Novo building will be constructed on their current campus. I assume across Powhatan Road.

19. jesse82nc

Ah ok, that would be these:

upload_2015-8-27_14-16-4.png

20. kodiak kid

kodiak kid Well-Known Member

To Clarify to the OP, Novo is creating 691 jobs with this expansion.