Bulldog eats Police vehicle

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Hught, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  2. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I saw that on TV last night. I wondered why the officer didn't just floor it - imagine what that dog could do to a person. Of course, they would probably get sued and PETA would get involved.

3. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I watched this on TV and that dog was determined. Cleo, they showed it around some people and it was very calm.

Sherry

4. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I'm not really so sure that the dog was all that aggressive. Some dogs get ticked off at anything with wheels. I had a BIG dog charge me the other day while cycling. He was coming at me too quickly to outrun (caught me offguard) so I got off the bike, stood my ground and placed the bike between me and him. When he try to around, I would roll the bike in a circle and that sort of put him out of the mood.

I really don't think the dog would have torn the bumper off had the officer backed up away from the dog with more speed. The dog would have let go, but instead he engaged in a tug-o-war with him and gave him opportunity to loosen it.

5. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Yeah, I heard the judge sentenced it to obedience school or something. I admit, I have no love for pitbulls.

6. rushlow2004

rushlow2004 Well-Known Member

he was wagging his tail, to him it seemed like he was having fun.

7. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

The problem with pits is really not much different than any other large breed dog. A heavy, muscular dog and poor treatment by owners generates a loose cannon. I'll admit that pits are not anywhere close to being my favorite of breeds, but I believe that likely there are just as many that are good family dogs as there are vicious ones. My love first is for German Shepherds, but they are notorous biters. Pinchers, Rotties, Boxers...all are more than capable of doing significant damage. Even a ticked off Lab can put a hurting on somebody.

It may sound like giving cities and counties too much authority over dog ownership, but I'd support some sort of licensing of owning known vicious breeds. I think owners of such dogs should have to pay a nominal annual fee that would cover a yearly visit by animal control to make sure that those who want to have large dogs have adequate containment for such breeds, that the animals are being taken care of properly and that they do not appear overtly aggressive.

However, a lot of it comes down to common sense. Owners of large breeds (even certain smaller breeds) should realize that their dog's disposition toward them is different than toward a stranger. Pookie might be a 120 pound powder puff with the family but might be like a grizzly bear toward someone walking by on the street or a kid riding a bike. It's about responsibility and accepting the fact that dogs are not your kids. They are domesticated descendents of wild pack animals and are still prone to be unpredictable at any given time.

8. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Jester don't you know that dogs don't bite, people do! 8)