Bullying at school

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by rincmom, Nov 13, 2011.

1. rincmom

rincmom Well-Known Member

I was wondering if anyone else has had any issues with McGees Middle not really taking a bullying issue seriously?

2. oggsmash

oggsmash Well-Known Member

I have a friend who works there I could ask them their policy. Is your Child the victim of bullying? Is it verbal or physical?

3. sarahmama

sarahmama Well-Known Member

Supposedly, there's a PTA meeting on Thursday and they are doing a presentation on bullying. Maybe they will address it then. I have heard of issues with that before at the school.

4. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

5. rincmom

rincmom Well-Known Member

I know all about the policy and the bullying presentation at the school is something they just added after I have complained to the superintendent. I was just trying to see if there were any other parents out there with kids that were bullied and the school wasn't taking the parents complaints seriously. Just wondering if I was alone here. Thanks for the responses though.

6. oggsmash

I guess none of the bully meetings ever involve advising your child to put a fist into said bully's mouth? I guess that sounds old fashioned, but I am old.

7. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Now they will suspend BOTH kids if your child defends himself/herself. I've always told my son that he better not start anything, but he certainly can finish it. He won't be in trouble with me. The school is a different story, not that I agree with it.

My sister's child got in trouble for defending herself against a bully in VA. It's BS. :?

8. oggsmash

You get suspended for defending yourself from a physical assault? I thought school was there to teach us lessons for life, not to make sheep.

9. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

it just seemed like something relavent to post in case someone needed to refer to it.
    it all looks nice on paper but what does it really mean? what are these policies the schools have developed? are they being enforced at a local level and who is making sure that is happening? i'm just curious.

db's wife

10. alen

alen Well-Known Member

Agreed. If my son gets suspended for defending himself...OK with me, that is, if walking away doesn't work. I've told him, if someone else starts it, you finish it. If you start it, I will finish it.

11. hhicshg

hhicshg Well-Known Member

Years ago ds2 stuck up for himself. He got suspended for a week but so did the instigator.(sp?)

12. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Stay on top of it. Bullying is a HUGE problem in our schools. Keep the discussion going. Press on. You owe it to your kid and the other kids who think no one cares. I say this from the viewpoint of a former JCS middle school teacher and mom to two boys. Speak up...loudly.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2011
  13. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

14. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

I've wondered, when something like this (a suicide over bullying) happens, how are the bullies feeling? I'm not suggesting in any way that we should feel compassion for them, I'm just wondering, when they hear about the effects of their bullying, if they feel remorse, of do they completely disassociate their actions from the result?

15. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I doubt they give a damn. Bully's are missing the empathy gene.

I think this story ought to be printed out, discussed in class and have every kid write a paper on it. Not that the ones that need it would "get" it.

The schools pay a lot of lip service to addressing bullying, but obviously not much has changed since I was in school.

16. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

So, the only ones who "get it" are the ones who don't need it. Then why have them do an assignment?

I don't know, I don't remember anyone at my school committing suicide over bullying. I was bullied from first grade through high school, but never contemplated suicide.

17. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I don't know what the "right" answer is, but obviosly what WE as a society are doing is not working.

I've deleted the rest of my post as it wouldn't be constructive to the situation at hand.

18. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

Yeah right.... the educational system is working as designed. Full of "life lessons" only taught in schools

This should explain more....

19. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

This one has a lot of explanations too.

20. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

I recently watch a movie called Cyberbully (Netflix has it for instant queue viewing). It gives a good picture of the damage that one inflammatory or false post can damage a person's reputation. Unfortunately people tend to believe everything they read and feel support from others to continue on with the assailing acts.