Burger King / Gas Station 40/42

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Hotwire, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Hotwire

Hotwire Well-Known Member

Just curious if anyone has heard what's going on there? I have noticed that it looks like they are permanently getting rid of the gas station by the way they are tearing it down. They dug up the tanks, took down the canopy etc...

I heard a rumor, and I'm sure it's just that, a rumor, that Chick-Fil-A planned to buy that parcel as Burger King did not renew a lease there. I obviously haven't been able to confirm that anywhere.

GIS shows the owner as being SPIRIT BK SMF SPE LLC. I couldn't find any info on what or who that is. It has been the same owner since Burger King and the gas station has been there. It has not changed hands yet.

2. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I meant to ask about that myself. I see they are taking the pumps away and taking away the awning. And the Exxon sign is down but the Burger King sign is still there.

3. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

I guess it's possible that they are just remodeling. They're doing some construction to the one on 70 in Clayton too.

4. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

That Burger King just renovated earlier this year. I don't think they are leaving.

5. markfnc

I would guess they are replacing tanks (it was one of the 1st stations at that intersection), and doing an overall renovation.

6. Wraunch

Wraunch Well-Known Member

Those BK renovations typically cost $500K or more so I doubt they are leaving.

7. markfnc

there is a demo permit in place for the Exxon, but no other permits to put anything back (yet)

8. Hotwire

That's interesting that they are going to demo the gas station.

9. markfnc

I would think the demo permit is not for the bldg., just the tanks and canopy.

BuzzMyMonkey likes this.
  10. Hotwire

Gotcha. Just drove by and the only thing left is the building now. All steel supports for roof over pumps are gone.

11. markfnc

Someone could stop by the BK and ask, they probably know. I may do that on the way home.

12. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

yes, when in doubt, ask.

13. kevinsmithii

kevinsmithii Well-Known Member

Sheetz's first causality!

14. youwish2bme

youwish2bme Well-Known Member

Doubt that its due to Sheetz.

15. lawnboy

lawnboy Well-Known Member

Ah! The chickfila rumor again! Like the Target (Sheetz) rumor. These things are hilarious.

In all fairness, I sure do wish they would put a chikfila nearby, but that BK location is horrible. Nothing but left turns and lights. Absolute worst location in the 4042 commercial area.

PS - whoever the franchisee is for this BK, please, PLEASE hire some competent staff, and hire twice as many as you have now. There is a 10 minute wait even with no one in line. It's like going to Walmart. I'm amazed they're still in business.

jesse82nc likes this.
  16. todill

todill Member

My guess is that they are adding a play area like the one in Clayton. It would help their business a lot since McDonalds does not have one and Jumping Jax is gone.

Romeo likes this.
  17. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

It will be even worse when the traffic light in front of them is gone soon and you can't cross 42 there.

18. Romeo

Romeo Active Member

I hadn't heard about the Traffic Light being removed. When will that be? That will effect ALL of the Business on the West of 42 located there.

19. Bucky

Bucky Active Member

Is that a fact or just a thought jesse? If fact, what a nightmare that is going to create. Can't imagine how ugly it will get with any traffic on Glen Rd trying to get out.

20. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

It's been a a DOT proposal for at least a year now. They are moving the traffic light further west to Technology Drive and going to put in a median along 42 from Son-Lan to Technology. It's part of the requirements for the increased traffic from River Oaks once it is completed. It's been posted on here several times in the past. I can't find the map showing it, but it was part of this project - http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/community/clayton-news-star/article24397381.html
    Cleveland
    ▪ Access improvements near the I-40-N.C. 42 interchange. Right-of-way and construction will cost about $40 million and are scheduled for 2019.

markfnc likes this.