Can anyone tell me how the process works for an 8th grader moving to high school?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by cathy0517, Jan 4, 2011.

1. cathy0517

cathy0517 Well-Known Member

My daughter is in 8th grade this year and will go from Smithfield Middle to Clayton High school next year and I am wondering how this transition works.
    Do the students meet with a counselor to make their schedule for next year?
    Do they get to tour the school etc? Anyone been thru this process that can share?

Thanks

2. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Been there twice. CRS has taken over. Sorry :)

3. VivianS

VivianS Well-Known Member

We have a freshman and a junior at CHS. When they went from Middle School to CHS they picked their classes, and there was a freshman orientation held one evening where we listened to the principal speak then the kids got to go find all their class rooms. The freshman have most if not all of theirs in one building which I thought was nice.

4. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

Two more years for us! Scary now just thinking about it...

5. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Students sign up while in middle school, with the math and english levels usually being recommended by the child's teacher (honors or not). After that, the information is sent to the high school and in late summer you will either receive the schedule by mail or get a connect-ed phone message for the day/time to go and pick it up at the school. Given the grim outlook for the budget situation, I would imagine they will have pick up again this year. The orientation is great and my kids felt ready for the first day. No worries. Your child will do fine! Mine are in 9th and 10th and have had no issues with the transition. Good luck!!

6. cathy0517

cathy0517 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info.