Can't stand it if people turn inside dogs into outside one's!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, May 17, 2010.

1. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Especially if they are both toy-breeds :x:x
    DON'T have pets in the first place!

2. AnnetteL

It should have said 'formerly' inside dogs (for several years to be exact).

3. AnnetteL

Not a single response, should have known better!

4. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Hey, give people a chance......................

I have a couple of problems with what you stated. First animals get used to environments so the one you are talking about is used to heat and air. Second, depending on its size it could get hurt. Between deer, huge birds, etc. smaller dogs may be an appetizer.

When we got our Cockapoo last summer we wanted to put an in ground fence up just to let her out to go to the bathroom and hang out some. My dad said not to do that as the dog would not be able to get out, even those it is invisible, if danger came. My neighbor does it with her cockapoo and has not had any problems. Of course she doesn't leave it out all day or when nobody is home which is also very smart.

We have a "lead".....very long and strong leash that we put ours on to go to the bathroom and to run around when we are home.

I haven't seen Zookeeper on here for a while but PM her about this.

Sherry

5. Hotwire

Hotwire Well-Known Member

I have had people at PetSmart (customers, not employees) just swear my dog should be inside and occasionally outside. However, we keep our dog outside all the time. I would hate to know she is being couped up inside all day. We have a Siberian Husky, and I don't know if I could stand all the hair being inside either. She loves it outside, and lays under our screened in porch staring out when she wants to cool down.

6. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Why cast stones? There are probably other people who can toss them right back.

7. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I agree that a Siberian Husky can and should be outside like you do. Some dogs need to be outside and need the exercise as well. But, in my mind, a toy poodle should be inside when people are gone.

Sherry

8. AnnetteL

I suppose theirs do get under the shed so if there were any danger they could probably hide under there. Thanks for mentioning about them getting used to the environment,makes me feel a little better about it.
    I just might pm Zookeeper,thanks!

9. AnnetteL

I always thought that when it comes to things like this that there is a very thin line,if you want to cross it is entirely up to the individual.
    I would just as much speak out if I saw that they mistreated their kids instead of their animals,no matter if they would cast stones in my direction or not.

10. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I'd tend to agree that toys have no business being outside dogs exclusively. The occasional tie-out for bathroom breaks, exercise and exploration is an exception. As for the rest of dogs, I'd say a dog is adaptable to its environment as long as its cared for properly. You wouldn't want to tie-out a dog all the time, leave it in the hot sun with no shade or water and make sure its getting fed. Another problem with outside dogs is boredom. Owners shouldn't suddenly neglect their pets by putting them outside and not giving them the love they're used to.

Our basset pup was kennel-trained and still sleeps in it which is sized appropriately for when he is grown. After several nights of wanting to take a 3 a.m. stroll, we moved his kennel to our utility room which is cooled and heated just like the house. He spends some time on a tie-out during the day, but being a hound, he thoroughly appreciates periods where he can be outside. You can tell it is in his nature.