Car Smells Like Cigarettes - Help

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by tams, Mar 10, 2010.

1. tams

tams Well-Known Member

I have a brand new car, but my son drove it for a couple of months and now it stinks of cigarette smell.

I was told that the best way to get rid of it would be an Ozone Shock Treatment and most body shops or detail shops could do this?

Anyone one know about this or other ways to get the smell out?

TIA

2. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Leave a bowl of white vinegar in it overnight? I do that for odors in the home, like bacon.

3. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

Febreeze works wonders, daily for about a week....and leave it "open" as much as you possibly can (spray back of the seats as long as they aren't leather, floor mats, roof, anything cloth, don't saturate). I had to "desmoke" my car after I quit smoking 5 years ago, and I sold it last year, not one trace of a smoker was evident.

oh and whoop your son for smoking in your new car! :mrgreen:

4. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

take up smoking, you won't smell it anymore:jester: j/k, i just couldn't resist:lol:

5. tams

tams Well-Known Member

Oh believe me!!! That's why he's not driving it anymore!

6. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

Sheesh, my son did the same thing... for a week; NASTY! The white vinegar worked for me. I wiped the hard surfaces and interior windows down with white vinegar and water and spritzed the inside as well.

7. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

IMO, vinegar smells equally as bad as cigarette smell. ;)

8. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Charcoal acts as a odor absorber too,the kind you use for grilling.Just a place a bowl containing a few pieces in the car.

9. OutdoorPlay

OutdoorPlay Well-Known Member

The vinegar will work. You can try baking soda left in the car overnight. I've also heard that coffee grounds left overnight in a sock will work.

10. ncroxx

ncroxx Well-Known Member

another method

I used to work in a bodyshop-and once had a customer bring car in with some shrimp in the trunk (in summer!). We sprinkled a couple big cans of coffee in trunk area and left it for 2 weeks-vaccumed it out and it had dissipated quite a bit. I dont think smoke smell is as strong-so may be worthwhile. Good luck!

11. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

all this wiping down and purchasing specialty products...whatever you decide, make him do it/pay for it

12. krattie

krattie Well-Known Member

Change out the headliner, smoke rises so it's going to stick up there.