Car Tinting?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by OmniOne1, Jul 1, 2008.

1. OmniOne1

OmniOne1 Well-Known Member

I'm looking to get my windows tinted on my car. I was wondering if anyone knew what the average price is to do this? And if you could possibly throw out any suggestions for good places that could help me out.

Thanks in advance! :)

2. HXCforCHRIST

HXCforCHRIST Well-Known Member

Price range depends on what you want done, If you want both driver sides, both passenger sides and the rear window done it will cost any where from $150-$200. A pretty good place is Interiors Plus on 42 near cornwallis.

3. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

If you travel in other states the degree of tint could be an issue. I forget which states had rhe requirements (lived in a few over the years) but to protect law enforcement personnel they severly restricted tinting.

4. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

VA is definitley tough on it, they really don't want you to do much to your car there at all. You'd be amazed what is illegal there.

6. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

7. OmniOne1

I called Interior Plus. They quoted me to $200, no tax, and a lifetime warranty. Does anyone know a place that could do a better deal?

8. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

Sound Station does good work, but they are kind of high.
    FYI :It cost more to get your car inspected with window tint!

9. OmniOne1

I did not know this! Hmm. How much extra is it?

10. ibleedbluee

ibleedbluee Active Member

I had this place tint my truck last June. They did an excellent job!! Highly recommended! The installer had hurt himself the day I was scheduled to get my truck done, and I had to come back the next day. They gave a really nice discount for the inconvenience. I have a double cab truck and had all 4 windows and back glass done for $136.50. That's for lifetime warranty and all. I think the regular price was around $200.

$10 tint fee during inspections because they have to put a light meter on the tint to see if it meets. I just had my truck inspected at TAG Automotive on Cleveland School Road and the owner didn't charge me. He said it was a BS fee. They have the option of not charging.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  11. OmniOne1

Yeah I continue to hear good things about TAG. I guess $200 is pretty common. So I may just go with them. Maybe I can talk them down if I pay cash 8)

12. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

Just make sure you go somewhere that guarantees their work!

13. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Did you call the place I posted about>

While you're waiting you can visit ME! :lol: Wouldn't that be just FUN?

14. claytonsassy

claytonsassy Well-Known Member

a cautionary tale
    I had my dd's car windows tinted -- was told that the degree of tinting was x% and legal then several months later it was time to get the car inspected and it failed due to darkness of tinting -- now it is not limo dark, as a matter of fact, it is probably not as dark as what came on my 10 year old mini van -- the explanation given by the fellow who failed it was that vans and trucks can have a different degree of tinting than sedans -- i don't know how an average joe/jane would know what they were being sold was legal as tinting comes in degrees of darkness -- you can see in dd's car its not so dark that it prohibits one from seeing in ---just find a reputable place

15. Hotwire

Hotwire Well-Known Member

I know of two places who do very good jobs! One is Jim Solarguard in Raleigh, it is right off South Saunder's street before you get to the I440 bridge. It may look like a crappy place, but let me tell you, he has done the best job I have seen yet! He has done 3 of my vehicles, the most recent, a 2 door sports car, it cost me $160.00. The other place is Tinted Image on Hwy. 70 in Garner, just past Agri Supply on the right, headed towards Raleigh. I have only seen their work a couple of times. A friend just had them do their 4 door truck and it was perfect, with a lifetime warranty. Keep in mind, most places will give you a lifetime warranty if you choose to go with a LEGAL tint. However, if you choose an illegal tint, you will get no receipt or warranty and you have to find someone who will pass the buck on inspecting it : )

Good Luck!