Carolina or Kure Beach - recomendations?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Straitlover, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Straitlover

Straitlover Well-Known Member

Looking for a place for long Memorial Day weekend (check in Thursday, check out Monday for my sister and I, 2 beds prereraby w/ soem kind of kitchen facilities, at least a microwave). I haven't been down there in many, many years. Anyone know anything about any of the motels or condos there? Don't need top dollar but don't want a dump, either. You never know how accurate the pics on the interwebs are. :)

The plan would be to visit Ft Fisher, the aquarium and head into Wilmington one day. Last tiem I was in Wilmington was when we went to the battleship in second or third grade (uh, that would have been between '72-73 lol!). Well, actually, I did drive by where you turn off for the battleship when I left from here headed down to Holden Beach about 5 years ago (got off 40 I believe at Castle Hayne and went the back way to HB).

2. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

You can rent the houses on Ft.Fisher.

3. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

There are condos right on the beach right at the Boardwalk at Carolina Beach that we have stayed quite a few times and they were always clean and reasonable and the grandkids loved being that close to the gaming shops, ice cream, etc. Will have to check when i get home for the website but will post it for you.

4. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

5. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Last time I checked, they've turned that into condos.

Try vrbo.com which has individual's homes for rent. Great pictures, you can probably get a really good deal if you book now.

Otherwise...on the beach, this place is nice...

Golden Sands Motel
    www.goldensandscarolinabeach.com
    1211 S Lake Park Blvd
    Carolina Beach, NC 28428-5522
    (910) 458-8334

6. Straitlover

I've been emailing several folks on VRBO (used them before for Gatlinburg w/ no problem). I'm hoping to find something a little cheaper than I've gotten, though. Best deal so far is around $640 w/ taxes and fees for the 4 nights for oceanview. One place has a $99/night special, but it's only availalb eMon-Fir, whihc won't work.

I will check the Golden Sands. Thanks!

7. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

They have always been condos, individually owned but there is one company that handles the rentals for a majority of them. We have been able to call through that website and book just a weekend.

8. Straitlover

Ok, I wnet to Charlotte Memorail Day weekend instead for Speed Street. I have a longing to go to the beach and i know it would be next to impossible to book something cheap and only 1 or 2 nights now. So, I am going to try and just go down for the day on Saturday 6/26 (IF I get everything on my to do list done this coming weekend!).

Is there lots of public parking available at Carolina Beach? Is it free? I figure if the heat keeps up that that say will be crowded, so any secrets or tips on parking, things to do, etc would be appreciated. I want to hang on the sand for awhile, hit the water, and chekc out the boardwalk I keep hearing about.

Of course, I am going to take an overnight bag in case I can score a last minute cheap room! As in stopping at a place at 6 PM and see if they will cut me a deal. :)

9. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

I don't have the numbers, but we have stayed at the Dolphin Inn or the Surfside (both on Carolina Beach Ave.) and they are both super close to the boardwalk, bars, shopping, restaurants, arcades, yadda yadda. You can walk there within 5 minutes from either place.

10. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

really?
    can u tell me more about this?

db's wife

11. sarahmama

sarahmama Well-Known Member

Actually down at the end of Kure Beach, at Ft. Fisher, there is a great public parking area. They have a bath house, grills, and outdoor showers for the public. We love this area for our day trips. We can get somewhat cleaned up before we head home.