Cat and Christmas Tree

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by sdw714, Nov 24, 2014.

1. sdw714

sdw714 Well-Known Member

I've had an inside cat for several years and he has never bothered my Christmas tree. I have another cat now - young and quite active. I just know he's going to mess with the Christmas tree. I read that citronella oil sprayed in the tree will deter cats from wanting to play with Christmas trees. Has anyone tried this? If so, did it work? I'm not crazy about the idea of my tree smelling like mosquito repellent....but whatever works I guess. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  2. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I would definitely dip the cat in citronella oil.
    I hope it helps.

3. siameselover

siameselover Well-Known Member

there is something called sscat, it sprays air at them when they come near where you put it. i havent had a tree up since 2008 cause of a bad siamese

4. kevinsmithii

kevinsmithii Well-Known Member

Where is that like button when you need it!

5. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Well-Known Member

I've used orange scented sprays, and orange peels under the tree. It's worked for 3 out of 4 cats

6. sdw714

sdw714 Well-Known Member

Air doesn't seem to bother them so sscat may not work. I may try the orange spray & peels first - sounds more appealing to me than cintronella. Thanks for the tip.

7. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Some animals won't walk on aluminum foil, works well to keep them off beds and couches. Might try to put a piece on the floor in front of the tree.

8. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

There's this thing called a scat mat. It's a thin plastic mat that will give a VERY mild electric shock when it's stepped on. It runs off of a 9-volt battery and has different settings for small animals vs big animals

I tried the sprays, the oils and even hung damn orange peels IN THE TREE one year. Well, it seems one of my cats just loves to floss her teeth or something on the tree. Oh and climb in the middle of the tree all the way to the top.

Anyway, bought the scat mat and they don't go anywhere near the tree anymore. LOL

I bought mine from pet safe. It's a little pricey but you can use it year after year. I roll mine up and pack it with the tree every year. :lol:
    https://www.petsafe.net/search?q=scat+mat

9. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

They also work great for breaking cats from jumping onto counters, etc. during the rest of the year.

10. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

I've seen this idea online for keeping kids out, but Dunno how you'd feel about it for your cat... Build the tree inside a childs play pen. As long as the cat won't leap over it...

11. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

:iagree: