Changes to Recycling in Johnston co!!!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Straitlover, May 25, 2011.

1. Straitlover

Straitlover Well-Known Member

http://www.johnstonnc.com/recycling/reclearn.cfm#convsites

Haven't been around much (mother's sick), so I don't know if this was discussed. New rules for recycling at the convenience centers went into effect in April. You don't have to separate anymore, plus they added lots of stuff to the list. Now I don't have to take my food cans, boxes, etc to the Sam's Club parking lot recycling station. Yay!!!

Reminder: you don't have to have a decal to use the recycling facilities.

2. elims

elims Well-Known Member

So ... you don't need a permit anymore? If I'm reading the webpage correctly .. I can take my recyclables over to the 'Convenience Center' over on Barber Mill Rd .. I don't need to separate .. and I don't need a permit anymore?

3. schmal69

schmal69 Member

I wonder how much water goes down the drain to clean all the food debris off these bottles, containers, etc?

4. ZUMBAbyMARIE

ZUMBAbyMARIE Well-Known Member

Who takes old paint?

5. rrgreennc

rrgreennc Well-Known Member

A permit has never been required in order to dispose of recyclable materials. Permit is only for required for waste.

6. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Ohh, I always thought you needed the permit to even get on the property! Wow, I mis-understood from the start! Thanks for the clarification!

7. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Trash bags......

8. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

The county has HAZMAT collections periodically. There was one in April, not that that helps you much now.

http://www.johnstonnc.com/files/utils/HHW_FAQS.pdf

So if it's latex just dry it out completely and chuck it in the trash. Lowes sells a product that is supposed to be faster than "sand, soil or kitty litter" but I haven't tried it.

9. ZUMBAbyMARIE

ZUMBAbyMARIE Well-Known Member

Thanks. I plan on cleaning out the garage this weekend.

10. Straitlover

Don't know. I rinse my stuff off before I take it there. I would rinse it even if it went in the regular trash (repel bugs, smells), so it's not like I waste extra water.

11. scbuff

scbuff Well-Known Member

I just don't understand this new policy. Doesn't it cost more money for somebody to seperate the trash and all associated tasks than to already have it sorted out by the people who take it to the center in the first place...

12. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

Anyone know where we can take an old propane tank? It is not useable any more and we need to get rid of it, but just have not known where to take it.

13. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I had the same question and after I asked around I was told to call Lee's (that delivers the propane, I think they operate out of the gas station on Main St.), at the time Lee's said they were taking them, but they were charging a $5 fee per grill-sized ( 20 lb?) tank. The fee is because they were going to have to pay another company to come haul them away.

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  14. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

well what size?? If its grill size just exchange w/ a full one and that company will deal w/ it whether its lowes or home depot.

15. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

It is bigger than grill size. It is one of those that sits by the side of the house that one may use for a gas fireplace. One of those tall skinny ones.

16. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

I can't think of a reason a gas cylinder can't go to the dump IF it's empty- it's only steel and brass. If you have a current relationship with a gas company you could call them for help. If not, I would call the Johnston County Solid Waste Division at 919-938-4750 or ask the fire department.

http://www.johnstonnc.com/recycling/

17. Straitlover

Will the scrap metal place not take the tank? I know there's a place on Old Garner Rd.