Charlies BBQ

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by MamaApe, Aug 10, 2009.

1. MamaApe

MamaApe Well-Known Member

I have eaten here SEVERAL times & felt the need to pump another local biz. I love the atmosphere and how Charlie tries to speak to every customer. The new sweet potato chips are awesome, and the steamed cabbage is some of the best I have ever had! I hope this is a local restaurant that stays around for a while!

2. englishbullymom

englishbullymom Well-Known Member

:iagree: MamaApe, I was just thinking the same thing last week. Charlie is truly a wonderful person and knows what it is to work hard. Hubby and I make it a point to try to go in about once a week and he ALWAYS greets us by name as he is there every day and does all the cooking. Clean, relaxing environment where we know we'll get personal attention and often times even a sit down talk with Charlie. For those who don't know, Charlie is a retired state trooper who opened this business with his retirement savings and you usually can get some pretty good stories out of him if you just ask:lol: We love it!

If you try it, go early. He closes every night at 7pm to cook for the next day and is closed on Sundays & Mondays as well.

3. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

i would really love to try him, i always think about it when i am thinking take out at night but by him closing so early i never get the chance to try the food out:cry:

4. carolinasun

carolinasun Well-Known Member

Where is it located? I'm not familiar..... THANKS!!

5. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure this is the BBQ place on Cleveland sch rd, in the little strip of stores between the old cleveland school bldg (& the ball fields) and Broadmoor (the entrance by the pool).

6. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

Yup, definitely need a 20.

I'm a certified 'Q addict- KC, TX, NC though I still prefer Carolina 'Q over all.

Local fare has slid a little in the last few years; Smithfield's is just "OK", White Swan is good enuf but still a little too sanitized for my tastes, except at the original location.

7. MamaApe

It took me a few times to get used to the BBQ but now I LOVE IT! The CHix salad is great too and they have homemade ff likes AL's at the fair :)

8. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I get to eat BBQ all over the country, and love it all, even that stuff they call BBQ in Eastern Carolina!

9. seabee

seabee Guest

:cheers: Al's fries.... yummmmmy......... :cheers::cheers:

10. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

dang..... transplant! Don't insult the BBQ! Next warning will not be so kind

:mrgreen:

11. englishbullymom

englishbullymom Well-Known Member

Charlie's is on Cleveland School in the semi-new little brick strip across from the emporium building and dr wells. It's beside grand street pizza, and a presbyterian church is directly across from it.

12. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Every time I bring the topic up my Native Born Spouse gives me a Dope Slap! :x

13. Slate

Slate Well-Known Member

HEY! :evil:

14. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

See there is hope for us all to find a great woman!

15. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

Have you tried Prime Smoke House in Garner off Timber or Holy Smokes off of 70 and Tryon? They both have excellent pulled pork and brisket.

16. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

Thanks MaMaApe, we haven't been there in several months, but it sounds like they have expanded the menu and we will have to go back and try again.:cheers:

17. Smudger

Smudger Well-Known Member

why is it when a 4042 business is recommended there is always somebody trying to send people off to Garner Cary Raleigh c'mon people this is 4042.com

18. seabee

seabee Guest

40/42 is in Garner.... as for other locations hey they're just giving other places that are good also... options are nice.

19. Straitlover

Straitlover Well-Known Member

Love the food, well except the green beans I got once were not good. I could eat a big ol' bowl of the redskin potato salad (even though it's not the yellow mus-My Friend PS I know and love :) ).Just wish they were open until 8 PM. By the time I leave work and go to the gym and head towards home, they are closed, so the only day I can even consider going is Saturday. Actually, that might be a good thing; how big would I be if I could eat there every day - LOL!

20. MamaApe

I love the green beans but they are an aquired taste :)