Chicago flights stopped, area air traffic snarled after fire at FAA facility

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Sherry A., Sep 26, 2014.

1. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/26/travel/chicago-ohare-midway-flights-stopped/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

- Air travel for thousands of people across the country was thrown into disarray Friday morning after a fire closed a major Chicago-area air traffic control center that directs traffic across a large swath of the Midwest.

Mystery surrounded the interruption, as authorities reported not only that a fire closed the Federal Aviation Administration control center in Aurora, Illinois, but also that a man was found with self-inflicted wounds there.

Flights in and out of Chicago's O'Hare International and Midway airports were stopped after the fire closed the control center around 6 a.m.

But the closure affected many more flights, because the center controls planes not just flying in and out of Chicago, but also those flying long-distance routes to other regions, raising the potential for thousands of flight delays nationwide.

2. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Fortunately I worked North Carolina all week, first time in a long time that I didn't have to crawl into one of those aluminum tubes!

Did try and get on the Delta Diamond phone line today and all I got were busy signals, that has never happened to me before.

3. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

So glad to hear you were not traveling. I thought about you and a few of my other friends when I heard this.

Sherry