Chicken Pastry?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, Sep 8, 2011.

1. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  2. jjganny

jjganny Well-Known Member

I prefer Atkinson's Pastry cause I think it is thinner & cooks quicker. And I have been making it a long, long time. I first cook my chicken, then debone it, skin some of yellowish fat off top & then put back in pot. After it starts to boil again, I start putting in pastry(do not thaw before use). Be sure to season according to taste(salt & pepper).

3. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

I've used Anne's frozen pastry and it was very good! I think the best is to make the pastry homemade though, but I don't know how. My grandma used to make it soooo good!

4. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I make my own pastry using Paula Dean's recipe, simple and easy.

5. AnnetteL

Thanks everyone!
    Here's a wral blog I just read about chicken pastry:
    http://www.wral.com/lifestyles/trav...l_comments=1&d_comments_page=2#comments_block

And here's one comment that was particularly interesting to me,quote:
    "Ok, it is probably not right for me to weigh in on this debate, because my experience is from way north of the Mason-Dixon line...but I was raised with dumplings as the round doughy things, and the flat things were rivvles! And in Germanic North Dakota, where I did indeed live through lots of 40 below, it was knoephle!" Interesting because I'm familiar with both Rivvles and Knoephle.

Some others in the blog call it Chicken Slick instead of chicken pastry ;)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  6. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Chicken slick sounds gross lol. I also make dumplings, I cheat and use Bisquick or Jiffy.

7. AnnetteL

It doesn't sound too hard but then again what do I know,it's described in the link I posted.

8. AnnetteL

It sure does :lol:

9. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

That's funny. I have chicken and dumplings cooking right now. Biscuit dough cooked in the chicken broth. Yummy!!

10. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

My wife used to start from scratch making chicken pastry by my mothers recipe. Living in 10 different states for the 1st 40+ of our marriage. A few years ago our 3 kids and 6 grandkids were here and she made chicken pastry. As usual it was delicious. Just as good as mom made. After dinner sitting around talking my wife asked me how the chicken pastry was tonight. My reply "as usual the best anywhere!". My wife and 2 daughters laughed. My wife then said from now on "you will have Atkinsons pastry". I had no idea! 51 years of marriage and now I am sold on Atkinson pastry.
    PS she always has chicken salad with our pastry. My favorite meal

11. AnnetteL

Actually that is what gave me the idea,after reading your facebook post about it ;)

12. AnnetteL

Can anyone tell me what that dark looking thing is in the upper right corner of the plate??

13. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I believe those are called Collards, typically when I see them they go to the compost pile!

14. Straitlover

Straitlover Well-Known Member

Count me in for Atkinson's, too! Cooks a lot quicker and is less doughy than Annie's. I used ti use Mac's which is inbetween those tow thickness wise, but I can't find it anymore.

That dark thing on the plate, maybe it's turnip greens???

15. AnnetteL

:lol:
    That reminds me of one of the posts I read on the wral blog about chicken pastry-the husband opened the freezer and a box of frozen store-bought chicken pastry fell out,when he asked his wife and daughter what it was they told him it was the secret family recipe ;)

16. AnnetteL

I'm glad you said it and not I ;)

17. AnnetteL

You could be right!

18. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

:cheers:

I don't like the flat store bought noodle things. I tried them once and we prefer dumplings. I have been tempted to roll my own pastry out and one of these days I will give it a shot when I have some time. It's a regional thing I think.

Dumplings are easy, it's just biscuit dough. I add a little poultry seasoning to my dough for extra flavor. DH and DS love them. One of their favorite meals.

19. space_cowboy

space_cowboy Well-Known Member

Love some collards..

20. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

I have used the kind you find in the pasta section, I believe it is called Ms Lib's. The back of the box gives you a recipe for chicken pastry, lasagna or a cobbler; I have used it for all three!

It was funny, when I first started visiting up here before moving from GA, I would stay away from 'chicken pastry' because I didn't know what it was. At home, we have "chicken & dumplings"; my mom used biscuit dough pinched off into little balls. I still prefer it that way, although I can NEVER make it like my Mom used to!

Also, I like to use Grill Mates Salt Free chicken seasoning. I use it for baking or grilling chicken, but I also put a little in if I'm cooking chicken pastry/dumplings. To me, the dish is a little bland, so this gives it a little kick.