Christmas Angels 2013

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JenniferK, Sep 20, 2013.

1. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Webbie-Can you sticky us?

It's that time again!

If you're new to the forum, CA is a grass roots effort that was started by a small group of concerned 4042'ers to give back to the community that we know and love.

To see a little background on the program, and to read about the people it's helped throughout the years, you can follow this link...

http://www.4042.com/4042forums/showthread.php?t=36362&highlight=Christmas+Angels

This year, after much consideration and thought, we've decided to change the program a bit.

We typically take nominations first, and then start collecting donations. With the monetary donations we receive, the committee usually takes a day off of work, and armed with a list of "wish list" items, we go shopping for the families.

However, this year we're going to start backwards.

Donations are being taken immediately. We will continue to take donations until December 13th, 2013.

The nomination period will not begin until December 2nd, and will run thru December 6th.

You might find yourself asking why....

Each year we sift thru tons of nominations. Some families are very much in need and are choosen to receive donations thru CA. And like it or not, some people are just trying to see what they can get for free.

The committee decided that most folks shouldn't know already if they are going to need help for Christmas, in September.

We truly feel that if we hold off taking nominations until the first week of December, we will be able to better assist those whose situation is temporary and immediate.​

So....donations.

You can donate in a variety of different ways. If you have paypal, you can make a donation at anytime to DaisiLou@aol.com (please send it as a gift, not as a payment).

You can contact myself, or harleygirl (Sandy) for a physical address, and mail your check, money order, or gift card.

Thank you to those who have participated in the past, without the generosity of strangers, Christmas Angels would never have been possible.

2. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I think that's wise.

<bump>

3. JenniferK

Thanks Cleo!

We received our first donation last week! Thank you so much!

Now only about a gazillion donations left to collect!

4. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

:hurray::hurray:

5. JenniferK

Just a little bump...

Did you know....Christmas Angels has helped over 50 children in the last 5 years, and provided more than $5000 worth of donations in the same amount of time?

6. JenniferK

Good Morning 4042,

Just a gentle reminder that there is less than two months left before we start taking nominations. Please consider giving to this worthy cause...

7. MizSeeker

MizSeeker Well-Known Member

Would you like donations of items? Not clothing or food but I make paracord bracelets and usually donate to charities around Christmas.

Martha

8. JenniferK

Martha, it will depend on the age/sex of the children once we go through the nomination process as to whether we could use them. I'll keep you updated!

9. JenniferK

We received our second donation last week.

With just a little over a month to go....donations are sparse. Please consider donating to the 4042 Christmas Angels.

10. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

How are things looking, Jennifer?

11. JenniferK

Looking better PG. We've received a few more donations this past week. At the rate the donations have come in, it looks like we might be limited to one family this year, although we have hopes it will get better.

12. PirateGirl

I just wanna throw this out there....

Last year, you all made a VERY sick little girl feel so special by not only giving her the coolest gift ever, but by simply going to deliver it to the hospital to her. For those of you who do not know, I lost my baby girl, my heart, my very best friend in the world 4/18/2013 at the age of 17. Many of you know her as she was a student at West and lived in the heart of the 4042 community. She has helped me collection and deliver gifts for past families the past several years to Jennifer. This group of selfless individuals got together to give her the gift of a Kindle to try and give her something to keep her mind busy during the 13 month hospital stay she endured. Not only that, but this same group of folks prayed their hearts out for her on a daily basis. You have no idea what this meant to her, me, and our entire family.

So, with all of that being said, if you have a healthy, happy child in your life...whether it be a daughter, son, niece, nephew, Godchild, neighbor kid, etc...just throw in $5 towards making some other child smile. Actually, I have given once for so many reasons and SO wish I could give quadruple what I did, but I am going to make another $25 donation in memory and honor of my Taylor. I challenge each of you to make a sacrifice and donate in honor...or God-forbid, in memory of a special child in your life.

Sorry to throw this all out there, but my girl was yelling at my heart to share with you because the main purpose in her life was to help others. Actually, a human error in donating blood is what caused her life to end. Even after all she went through, she commented many times that saving the lives she did with her donation was worth every moment.

13. JenniferK

Thanks PG, Taylor was a very special girl, and an inspiration to all who knew her!

We are now taking nominations for Christmas Angels.

Before you submit a nominee, here are a few things you should keep in mind...

1- These should be local families, WITH children.

2-These should be families who are actually trying, and by trying I mean, working and just not living off the system.

3-It is my best guess that we will only be able to help ONE family this year, so when you nominate someone, think long and hard.... Will the child/children in this family get Christmas this year (think extended family, grandparents, etc), or is this probably the only chance they have at waking up to Christmas morning?

4-As a mother of a teen, I know how important Christmas is to them too, but priority will be given to young children who still believe in Santa.

5-We will take nominations until this Saturday, Dec 7th. We will make a decision on Sunday, and try to post the families information on Monday.

If you have any questions, or wish to donate, or nominate a family, please email me at DaisiLou@aol.com or PM me.

Thanks!

14. PirateGirl

Thank you. In means so much.

15. JenniferK

Only two more days left for nominations!

16. JenniferK

Nominations have been closed for 2013 Christmas Angels.

We have selected the recipient, and at this time, with the donations we've received to date, do not have a need for additional donations.

We will continue to update you if this changes.

Delivery will be updated towards the end of the month.

Thank you all for your generosity, donations, and support!

17. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

Are you still taking donations?

Jennifer of Sandy are you still taking donations? If so if like to donate some cash. I don't have paypal, but can pickup a gift card or whatever is needed and drop it by or meet you somewhere.

18. JenniferK

Hiya SB!

Right now, we're okay. We've selected the recipient, and we think we have enough in the way of donations. If that changes, I will let you know! Thank you so much! Good to see you back!

19. JenniferK

Christmas has been delivered! (well, most of it)

This year was tough, because we received very few nominations, and everyone's pocketbooks were a little lighter.

However, I want to thank each and every one of you, who either this year, or in years past, donated to the 4042 Christmas Angels. When I think about all the families we've helped over the years, it makes my heart smile.

Here's the breakdown of who we helped this year.

Before Christmas, a member of the 4042 Angels committee personally delivered what had been designated for that nominee, to a 4042'er in need. The committee discussed it, and decided that didn't need to wait until Christmas, as their need was immediate. We're happy to see that this 4042'er has things looking up for them!

We have one more family to deliver to. They don't know it's coming, and I don't want to say much, because they might read the board, and we truly want this last package to be a "Christmas Angels" surprise.

With the little bit of left over funds, the committee decided to brighten the day of some nursing home residents, who don't usually get treats and sweets, and delivered a care package to some special elderly ladies.

Again, thank you all so much for your support throughout the years!

20. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

So wonderful to hear the Christmas Spirit is in the 40/42 area. Simply awesome. You all do such work each and every year and it doesn't go unnoticed. Thank you for all you do and for making the Christmas bright for some families. Merry Christmas!

Stephanie-- mom to 11