Christmas Angels 2014

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JenniferK, Nov 13, 2014.

1. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

If you've been around for a while, you're probably wondering where this thread has been. My apologies for it being so late, but after much thought and consideration, the committee has made the following decision.

For more than 10 years, a small group of local folks, who simply wanted to help their neighbors, has organized and executed a grass roots program to sponsor needy children at Christmas. Over the years, we've helped make it possible to sponsor well over 50 children, and provided somewhere between $10,000-$15,000 worth of presents.

Most of those families, were truly in need and equally as thankful. Sadly, sometimes we got scammed. It really never mattered to us, it was always about the children, and our hearts were in the right place.

You, the people of this community, have made this possible. With your generous donations of toys, clothes, food, and money, we were able to make Christmas Angels a reality.

For the past few years, getting donations has become harder and harder. Blame it on the economy, blame it on whatever, but pockets are not as deep as they once were.

After much debate, and prayerful consideration, we have made the decision that the 4042 Christmas Angels program will not operate for 2014.

From the bottom of our hearts, we thank you for your continued support and charity throughout the years. If you'd planned to give to Christmas Angels this year, we encourage you to find a charity that speaks to your heart, and place your donation there.

On a personal note, I've lost both of my parents in the past year and a half. Many of you know that I was very close to my mother, who lived in a nursing home for the last 8 years of her life, and that I was her primary caregiver. It's through this experience that I had the opportunity to see the vast population of elderly who are literally dumped in nursing homes and never given a second thought to.

I've decided that in honor of my mothers memory, I will be visiting a random nursing home at Christmas, with what I hope will be a truck full of the things that residents actually want, not the cheap cast offs that most people send, and walk in the door and ask the staff to point me towards the residents who don't get visitors.

If you feel led to contribute to my effort, please let me know, and I'll be happy to provide you with a list of wish items.

Again, on behalf of all of us, thank you for being a community that takes care of it's own. Don't let this be the reason you aren't charitable this year, just point your efforts in another direction.

2. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Jen,

I am saddened that the 4042 Christmas Angels has ended, but understand. From the bottom of my heart I thank each and every one of you who worked so hard and contributed.

I would love to help you with the wonderful idea of the nursing home. I lost my mother within the last several years and I too was the caregiver. I will PM you to see what is needed for this wonderful endeavor.

Thank you and all the Angels,
    Sherry

3. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

The first Christmas was a bit hard on me when my Mom passed but the warm memories shared with family made it easier.

The kindness you have shown our community should be returned to you and yours many fold!

4. JenniferK

Hught, CA was never about me, but thank you. So many people gave and contributed over the years, and worked behind the scenes. It truly was a community effort.

Yeah, I'm hoping the holidays will get easier. I just miss my mom so much, and I just feel like I've gotta have a "project", I've got to do something or I go crazy thinking about her. I haven't been back to the nursing home since she died and honestly I'm not sure I can go back into one! I might have to recruit someone to go make these deliveries! :)

5. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Jennifer, thanks for all of your hard work for Christmas Angels over the years.

My sister's birthday is in December and each year (for at least the past 8 years that she was alive), on the morning of her birthday, she would take the day off work and head to BJ's. She had saved up throughput the year and would purchase bulk snacks and other items the residence of local Nursing Homes would like or need. She then spent the day driving to local homes, filling up her HUGE basket at each stop, and going in to personally let the residence choose from her basket. She always said THAT was the BEST birthday gift she had ever received. If you will supply me a list, I will gladly pick up some items in her memory. Thank you.

Also, as you know, I have lost both parents, a sibling and my kid....the holidays haven't gotten easier yet. I am fortunate in that I don't have little ones in the home so I can just choose not to "do" the holidays. Hugs to you!

6. JenniferK

PH, I'll PM you a list. Ty...

7. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Thank you to Kaci, HG and any other silent elves for helping to coordinate the efforts of the Christmas Angels over the years.

:cheers:

8. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Just wanted to follow up to Tassy's post...it was so cool seeing the "elves" after they had made their deliveries all through the years. All of them with tear-stained faces from just having met with the recipients. Thanks to all of you involved.