Christmas cookies?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, Dec 1, 2009.

1. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Are you baking any and if so which ones?
    Made Vanilla crescents,Hazelnut cookies,Lebkuchen (German spice cookies),Rum-balls so far.Tomorrow I would like to make some pumpkin cookies with cream cheese frosting.

2. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Not baking, but would happy to function as Quality Control! :mrgreen:

3. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I thought about you this weekend Annette. I ended up with an unfinished tapestry (probably meant to be a pillow) that has a German theme. Be happy to give it to you if you want it.

On another note, do you have a recipe for a pumpkin roll? We had one for Thanksgiving that was made by a lady from Germany and it was OUT of this world. Ya'll must have something special going on with regards to pumpkin rolls. :jester:

4. AnnetteL

Well actually I think it's more of an American thing :) but I did look at up on some German baking sites and found the following recipe posted for a pumpkin roll,it also stated the recipes source which turned out to be a American one-small world ;)
    http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/detail.aspx?ID=131090

How does the tapestry look like,I'm sure it turned out real nice!

5. AnnetteL

:cheers:

6. claytonian

claytonian Well-Known Member

Will be doing my usual - banana bread, hershey kiss cookies, peanut butter, chocolate pixies, nutmeg logs, tea time tassies, cream cheese cutouts, snowballs, gingersnaps, espresso shortbread cookies, italian cookies just to name a few

7. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

My "usual" is mom's sugar cookies, pecan balls, peanut butter cookies with the hershey kiss, fudge, banana bread, date bread, cranberry bread. The last several years we've thrown most of it away so this year I may not make any of it and stick to store bought goodies.

8. claytonian

Oh my, throw them away - we don't eat our's but I've never thrown them away. I do cookie baskets for the people my husband works for, which is usually about 15 of them. I keep saying I'm going to scale back and not do them anymore as it is exhausting to make that many cookies but then I feel bad because they keep asking if I'll be doing them this year. They started asking in November and he's told them that he doesn't think I'll be doing baskets, which by the time Christmas rolls around, I will have put them together. They just won't be as big as they've been in the past.

9. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

Peanut butter balls aka Buckeyes that everyone and their dogs have been asking about since August

and Haystacks

10. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I love cranberry bread!

So far I am making peanut butter balls, giant toffee cookies, cocoa crinkle sandwiches, the old standard (sugar cookies) for cookie cutters and decorating and... that's it so far.

Maybe I will get some ideas (and recipes wink-wink) from this thread. Oh and maybe taffy.

11. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

i have a little holiday cookie recipe book that has 50 different cookies in it...... wanna borrow / see and copy?

12. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

It's too early to start baking, isn't it? I mean, I don't want my stuff stale by Christmas!

I usually do sugar cookies, choc chip cookies, and then whatever I can find a good recipe for.

13. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

Hi, can anyone share their peanut butter ball receipe...perdy please? Merci'!

14. Cleopatra

I can... but I would have to kill you. Actually, the balls will kill you. They are addictive and the best darn balls I have ever had. The secret ingredient is rice krispies.

Crispy Peanut Butter Balls

Ingredients

2 sticks butter, softened
    2 cups creamy peanut butter
    3¾ cups powdered sugar
    3 cups Rice Krispies cereal
    2 (8 ounce) large Hershey candy bars (I have always ended up using at least twice this amount, perhaps because I like to make the balls a single bite size, so I get well over 100 from a recipe. It you make a large ball, you will not need as much dipping chocolate)

Directions

In a large bowl, blend together butter, peanut butter and sugar until smooth.
    Fold in cereal, stirring as little as possible, to prevent cereal from being crushed too much.
    Roll batter into ¾” to 1” balls, and place on waxed paper – I prefer to make them small enough so you can pop a whole one in your mouth.
    Melt candy bars (I break bars up into pieces and microwave until melted – you must be very careful not to overcook, or chocolate will turn into a grainy mess. Stir after the first minute of cooking on High, then keep stirring every 15 seconds until all is melted).
    Dip the peanut butter balls in the chocolate, dipping one at a time. HINT - the chocolate will adhere much better, with less mess and dripping, if you freeze the balls before dipping them - then take out about a dozen at a time to dip. When the warm melted chocolate meets the frozen peanut butter ball, the chocolate will harden around it much quicker.
    Place the ball into the chocolate and roll it around to coat, using the forks to push it around.
    Place one fork underneath the dipped ball and lift it out of the chocolate, using the other fork to run across the bottom of the fork holding the peanut butter ball, scraping away the excess chocolate as it runs off.
    Drop the ball onto waxed paper; repeat until all balls are dipped (you may need more chocolate – it all depends on how much chocolate you let drip off the ball as you balance it on the fork).
    Let balls set, to allow chocolate to harden again, before storing them in a covered container, with wax paper between layers.
    Store in a covered container in the refrigerator, taking them out just before serving.

15. Cleopatra

I have two myself, plus the internets. But - would you happen to have a recipe for something that is thick, cut into squares with coconut, choc chips, I think the bottom layer is like a choc chip cookie dough...

16. claytonian

Freeze them. I start freezing them in November and they are out of the house and delivered by Christmas. I think most cookies you can freeze up to three months.

17. Cleopatra

And if anybody is interested, I have a recipe for bacon choc chip cookies.... Jen????

18. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Phyllis Tilton's coconut bars from our cookbook:

1 stick butter
    1 c. graham cracker crumbs
    1 (4-oz.) can coconut
    1 (6-oz.) bag chocolate chips
    1 (6-oz.) bag butterscotch chips
    1 c. chopped nuts
    1 can Eagle Brand Milk

Melt the 1 stick of butter and add graham cracker crumbs. Spread into 9 x 13 inch cake pan. Combine the chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, nuts and coconut and put onto graham cracker crumbs. Pour the can of milk over top. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes, until brown on top.

I have made this a few times, it's easy and good.

BTW, we have a few copies of the cookbooks left if anyone is interested. We're down to about 7 or 8 copies, so let me know right away!

19. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Now those were..............ummm..................interesting! ;)

20. Cleopatra

I think that's it KDs. Thanks!