Classified ad spam

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, Sep 10, 2012.

1. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

This is what I received in response to my classified ad,sounds fishy to me!

"Thanks so much for the email, I'm happy you still have the ads for sale , I'm currently not in town for now,I'm Okay with your asking price which is {50$} bcos i have a local pick-up agent that will come to your resident for the pick-up but that will be after when i send you the payment and the payment is received by you ,Now i want you to email me back the following information such as:

Your Full Name:

Your full Contact address:

Your City:

Your State:

Your Zipcode:

Your Cell/home phone number :

So that the payment can be mailed out to you without any further delay, Meanwhile the payment will be mailed out by Certified Cashier Check, I await your payment info Today ,Thank you."

2. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

NOOOO...DON"T DO IT!!!

3. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

run,, just tell them to give the money to their pick up agent seeing how they probably already have their info on hand and when agent comes to get item they can hand over the cash.

4. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

Yes, unfortunately, there is no way to prevent the scammers from replying to your ad. For anyone who has not placed a Classified ad before on 4042.com, when you receive a reply, we provide a very detailed warning to help you determine if it is valid/fake. The scammer ones are really very easy to identify, as they are "canned" responses and they use them over and over again. And, they are often worded very poorly, which should raise some red flags also.

Below is an example of what we send out to a Classified ad owner, each time they receive a reply through 4042.com:

While we regularly police and remove scammer ads that get placed on the 4042.com Classifieds, there is no way to prevent the replies to an ad. So please keep in mind the warning signs when you receive a reply that seems suspect.

Thanks!

Webmaster, 4042.com 8)