Clear Cutting

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, May 21, 2014.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Not sure how many people on the board live in the South Plantation development, Son-Lan corp. sold the timber rights to the trees in the wetlands. I just found that out from my neighbors whose property they are going to have to go through.

I have an odd shaped piece of property and there is a wedge shaped piece of my property that goes off into the woods. I just hope they don't cut down an of my trees.

I bought my home here back in 2000 with the understanding that they would never be building anything there because of the wet lands. I just really love the solitude and peace and tranquility of the woods.

:nopity:

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  2. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

If your neighbors don't want them accessing through their property, they don't have to. Unless Son-Lan has an easement or has gained their permission.

You may be allowed to ask that they leave a small buffer (10-15') of trees on the other side of your property line. For that matter, buy a roll of surveyors tape (orange) for a couple of bucks, find your property line, walk another 15', and start marking trees. Make it look like it is meant to be there and perhaps the logging company will pass it by.

3. Rockyv58

They told her they will leave a buffer between her home and where they are cutting. I just hope they have a good site plan and know where everybodies property lines are.

She was telling me that if they didn't give permission that they would get a court order to come through their property. I said to her I hope they will at least compensate you for having to go through your yard. She said they would re gravel their driveway for them. Heck if it was me I would be asking for more than just a gravel driveway I would be asking for $. You know they are going to be making a ton of money off those trees.

A. I just don't want them cutting any of my trees in that area
    B. I just know it's going to look like the area on Cleveland school road where they clear cut it a few months back.
    C. Shortly after I moved out here in 2000 they had gone and clear cut the land on 210 outside of Smithfield and it's still just growing back.
    D. A few years back I had bought the green posts for my chicken wire fence and had put it up between my yard and my one neighbors yard. but did not get around to hanging the fence there. Hopefully when the surveyor went through he noticed it.

4. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

5. Rockyv58

Thanks Sherry I will check it out.

My neighbor told me they plan on coming in and cutting in about 3 weeks.

I've been a tree hugger for a very long time. And darn proud of it. But I do also understand Son-Lan's rights to make a buck.

I do have a question for the board. If where they cut the trees down it ends up looking like the land over on Cleveland school road, will it cause the property values of the homes surrounding where the trees are being cut down to go down in value?

6. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

I sold some timber off some of my property a couple of years ago. They had a surveyor mark the lines before they did anything. They did show me where I had lost a few thousand dollars worth of trees to the company who had logged beside my property a few years prior. They swiped the biggest trees they could just over the line. The fact they left some indicated they knew they were taking from my land according to the guy I dealt with.

They were very careful about access and using the legal easements too.

7. 26.2

26.2 Well-Known Member

This happened last year in Jordan Ridge. Be prepared for a noisy couple of weeks.

8. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

If this area really is a designated wetlands area to the best of my knowledge no equip is suppose to be in these designated areas.

9. Rockyv58

When I bought my house in 2000 I was told it was "wetlands" and that they could not build there.

I bought my home knowing that nothing would be built there and having the serenity of hearing the birds and owls and such.

10. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Wetlands are protected from any type of machinery going in them. That is if it is truly a wetland area. Maybe I'm wrong though.

11. Rockyv58

I vaguely remember the realtor calling it wetlands and also the person I bought the house from. Even my neighbors wife this morning called it wet lands.

There is a stream running through the middle of it. When it rains the ground in there puddles up and there are some downed trees I presume fell because the ground was wet.

I know about 6-7 years ago my neighbors neighbor did some midnight land fill back in the wet lands area. Had trucks coming in around 3-4am with tons of stumps to fill in part of it and then bulldozers to bury it so he would have dry land so he could keep his horses. It was around the same time frame that the stump dump on the east side of Clayton went up in flames.
    http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/1216188/

i may be getting a head of myself. I will know more about the lumber later on when I talk to my neighbor. He got the lumber managers number.

12. elims

elims Well-Known Member

There's a difference between their being able to build on it, and just cutting down the trees on it for timber if they own the land, and it's not officially designated as true wetlands. Someone may have declared it "wetlands" as in - "wet, marshy land not suitable for development" but not legally declared it in the wildlife preservation sense of the term.

13. Rockyv58

That's what I am trying to find out. the exact definition.

according to the EPA's definition:

Wetlands Definitions

Generally, wetlands are lands where saturation with water is the dominant factor determining the nature of soil development and the types of plant and animal communities living in the soil and on its surface (Cowardin, December 1979). Wetlands vary widely because of regional and local differences in soils, topography, climate, hydrology, water chemistry, vegetation, and other factors, including human disturbance. Indeed, wetlands are found from the tundra to the tropics and on every continent except Antarctica.

For regulatory purposes under the Clean Water Act, the term wetlands means "those areas that are inundated or saturated by surface or groundwater at a frequency and duration sufficient to support, and that under normal circumstances do support, a prevalence of vegetation typically adapted for life in saturated soil conditions. Wetlands generally include swamps, marshes, bogs and similar areas."

[taken from the EPA Regulations listed at 40 CFR 230.3(t)]

http://water.epa.gov/lawsregs/guidance/wetlands/definitions.cfm

14. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

15. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

What road do you live on? Dont need the address, just the road. Want to make sure i get the correct map.

16. Rockyv58

sent you a pm with my address.

17. Grinder

This is what i believe you have going on.

There are no areas of 404 Wetlands delineated on any of the maps in that area. 404 Wetlands are areas of land designated as wetlands by the Army CoE. These are lands where you would see standing water, little happy frogs and crickets playing merrily and all living in harmony, like in the Disney movies.

Then you have areas of land that are wet, but do not quite meet the definition of a 404. The ground may be damp during the entire year but no real standing water unless it rains really hard, or its land that even after a short rain it has trouble draining. The developer and our county/city/municipality may request those areas be shown on a map as wetlands but they are not held to such a strict standard as areas of 404.

Then, what you have in Rocky's case (i believe) are what is called "wet soils" or "unsuitable soils" of which there are 2 types of these soils in the area that will be getting cut. The 2 soil types are Ra (Rains) and Wt (Wet) and both are unsuitable for septic tank fields - which essentially makes them un-buildable areas. The realtors may have been told that no one can build back there because of the wet soils, which does not mean they are 404 or another classification of wet, they are merely wet soils that are not suitable for septic tank fields. That is why there are no houses back there. There is a creek with a 50' riparian buffer running back there but i believe its just an area of "wet soils" which are not buildable. There are no areas of 404 designated on any of the maps therefore those areas are allowed to be disturbed.

18. Rockyv58

Thanks Grinder for the FYI.

19. Grinder

:) Its what i do.

20. elims

elims Well-Known Member

That is a great explanation - thanks!!