Cleveland Library clearance of duplicate books and new duplicate donations-must go

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Ron Still, May 22, 2012.

1. Ron Still

Ron Still Well-Known Member

Cleveland Library's clearance of duplicate books - must go

We need the shelf space for new titles and have been thinning duplicate book titles like best sellers and Oprah's Book Club releases, etc. since we opened in August 2008. We are so limited on space, we can only display 3,000 clearance items at a time. For the determined few, we have 6' high stacks of hard cover books to explore There are some 40-book (average) grab boxes of Romance and other genres. We have a 40' truck load to empty, but we can only unload and move the books during dry weather, when we have local volunteers. Did I mention, we must have some place to sit them? If you have a question, please call 919-661-6565. Let's deal and you can wheel them out. Book sales keep our library open and buy new books. The first $36,000 annually pays the lease and building costs, the next $12,000 pays for library supplies and books. Everyone works for free so there is no salary or benefit line item. We operate as a charity so all assets belong to the community. We have thousands of new titles that need to be shelved.

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  2. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

is there any way you guys (since you're always out of space) could move and expand? Chops is still for sale, and that would be ideal....Large space can be retrofitted, etc. and still in Cleveland area (heart of it really) And easier to get out of the parking lot!

Just wondering.

3. Ron Still

Ron Still Well-Known Member

Community donations do not cover rent, let alone purchase

We looked at the building and parking several times. It has a lot going for it, specifically heating and air conditioning. According to the realty records, Chops is far too small and would require substantial renovation. We are using 3,700-4,000 sq. ft. and the library folks said we should have a minimum of 20,000+ for the population we should be serving.

Glad to talk to you about it. You may now how to make a building happen. I don't.

This is partially why libraries moved to the tax base as soon as Durham got the right to tax. Check some of the new library designs and price tags. That is not considering the speculator driven prices in our 3,000 foot bulls-eye. We should have at least 30 computer stations according to library standards, just to start handling the needs of a 5, 10, or 15 mile circle.

We have a need for typists, computer lookup, shelvers, book repair, checkout desk and helping folks do research and homework to get new titles on the shelves and dupes out. Hopefully we could sell enough to keep paying the rent, get supplies, and new books.

4. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

If you guys need any help on the IT side of things, I might be able to donate some time for that. I have 11 years of IT experience and manage a couple labs for Cisco right now.