"Cleveland Market" - Proposed Shopping Center on Cleveland Road near Fire Station

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by jesse82nc, Oct 28, 2015.

1. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

REZONING PETITION: Petition to rezone 14.68 acres out of two tracts totaling 18 acres located at the intersection of Cleveland Rd, McLemore Rd, and Cleveland Fire Rd in Cleveland Township from Agricultural Residential (AR) to General Business - Special Use District (GB-SUD). Tax ID: 06F04016 and 06F04019X Owner: Denton F Lee Jr and Jane A Lee Applicant: Glenda S Toppe & Associates, Glenda S Toppe

The Planning Board recommends APPROVAL of the Rezoning request and submits to the Board of Commissioners a proposed Statement of Consistency for adoption based on the recommendation for approval. Special Use Permit: To allow for multiple permitted uses in the General Business District as well as the existing residential use. Based on Findings of Fact and Special Use Conditions, the Planning Board recommended APPROVAL of the Special Use request.

http://www.johnstonnc.com/files/board/November2_RezoningAgenda.pdf
    upload_2015-10-28_14-16-56.png
    upload_2015-10-28_14-18-32.png

2. jesse82nc

3. Bucky

Bucky Active Member

Looks like a very in depth report with a lot of input from the various parties concerned. But then again, I'm sure the slow/no growth element will all have their say, of course after the fact as usual!

4. jesse82nc

1010/Cleveland Road has been identified by the County as a "Growth area" and this area specifically as a "Community Node" for growth of commercial properties and businesses. This was identified by the County at least a few years ago. Even though people buy houses in the area more recently without researching such things first, they will no doubt still complain when the County approves commercial development in the area.

5. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

Hooray!!! maybe they will build that grocery store.

6. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

It can't be too bad if the Lee's don't mind living next to it :)

7. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

Yippee, just what we need - another Food Lion.

8. cynadon

as apposed to what

jesse82nc and poppin cork like this.
  9. jesse82nc

Here's a nice photo I was able to work up, sorry I am no Photoshop expert.

12016462_10153619542922324_991832016_n.jpg

Webmaster likes this.
  10. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

Thank you for getting this posted.

jesse82nc likes this.
  11. cranky

cranky Well-Known Member

So where is the neighboring bait and tackle shop outlined in the link as a GB special use?

12. jesse82nc

I am not sure. it says:
    Surrounding Land Uses: Zoned AR and used for agricultural, residential, and recreational purposes. Zoned PUD for a Planned Development – Housing. Zoned NB and used for a photography and design studio. Zoned CB and used for daycare, gas station, and shopping center. Zoned GB-SUD and used for plant nursery and batting cages. Zoned I-1-SUD and used for contractors office and CB-SUD used for bait and tackle shop.

But I don't see a piece of land as CB-SUD on the map.

upload_2015-10-30_9-47-1.png

13. jesse82nc

I was able to locate this on Google Maps though.
    upload_2015-10-30_9-49-45.png

14. cynadon

A fellow in Allen's Landing sold artificial bait out his garage 10-12 years ago.

Kelyel likes this.
  15. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

It looks like there are 5 shops (2 on one side, 3 on the other) attached to the Food lion. But I can not make out what is on the other side of the parking lot (butting up to Cleveland School Road)

16. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

When are they going to start building the Food Lion??

17. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

So....does that make nearby property values go up or down?

18. cynadon

property values have been going up and down since folks arrived.

19. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Generally up if there is the potential to develop your property commercially. Otherwise flat or a slight decline if too close. A slight rise if the aminty is geared toward the general public, such as a grocery store, drug store, or medical facility that is now convenient but not next door.

20. jesse82nc

There are 5 outparcels in the shopping center, and 5 possible small shops on the sides of the proposed Food Lion. Obviously they could be combined to be 1 shop on each side, or 2 on one side and 1 on the other, or any combination as such.