Cleveland Middle School 7th grade math/ core vs. accelerated

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by doodle22, Aug 27, 2012.

1. doodle22

doodle22 Member

What the difference in (7th grade) Math and Accelerated Math this year? What determines if they are in accelerated math? Thanks

2. AWmom

AWmom Well-Known Member

I had that same question and took it to the guidance counselor at Cleveland Middle. I asked for an explanation on how the school based their placement for common core math vs the common care math plus. She said they used a rubric to help them decide how they placed the students. She said many kids that were in the advanced math classes last year were placed in the common core math class. They took their last year's average in math and the math EOG's plus previous years EOG's in addition to the rubric. She did her best in explaining although it didn't make a lot of sense to me. Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  3. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

Ha Ha good luck getting an answer--I have probably made 50 phone calls--most were not returned and spoke with 8 or 10 people across multiple counties and still do not really have a great answer. The best understanding I have is that the county does not really know what is going on (because the state has not even written all of the Commom Core Curr.) so they don't know what to tell you. In my experience they are defensive when you ask any question rather than just being honest and tell you they are trying to figure it out.

CC Math 7 incorporates pre-alg some geometry, probability and statisticts. Accelerated--or CC math 7 plus will work through cc math 7 and cc math 8. The teachers are to constantly evaluate and move through concepts quickly if the students already get it (yeah right--I really see this happening!) If your child took pre alg in 6th grade he is most likely in math plus--basic math and adv math in 6th grade he is most likely in cc math 7. There was a matrix used to place students that used date going back to 3rd grade which is supposed to predict sucess in higher level maths.

Some students will be able to move to Math 1 in 8th grade and receive HS credit--the state is not in favor of this so most likely next year a student in 8th grade in math 1 will have to have had an AIG label already.

I don't think the teachers fully understand what is going on. Ms Jersey Shore at CMS made me a little afraid her Uncle Vinny would have me swimming with the fishes because I asked to many questions. Apparently they got info about what they were teaching last Wed.

We will see how it all works out--I think they are afraid to push any students ahead because they really dont know what is expected of the new CC material and how they will be evaluated on the students success.

Anyone with more input--please advise!