Cleveland Rd and Barber Mill Rd - Traffic Light?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by tinnc, Feb 17, 2018.

1. tinnc

tinnc Active Member

I have seen survey activity at this intersection the past few weeks and yesterday the survey flags ran from Barber Mill up to the Century Link boxes. There were also electrical contractor trucks and road work of some type at the intersection. Does anyone know if the are finally putting a traffic light at this intersection? Thanks!

Rockyv58 likes this.
  2. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member

3. tinnc

tinnc Active Member

Hught likes this.
  4. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Good it's about time

cynadon likes this.
  5. youwish2bme

youwish2bme Well-Known Member

Yes those cuts in the road they made are for the sensors to trip traffic lights. Everytime you pull up to a traffic light you can see these cuts in the road for the sensor to let the light know a car/truck/vehicle is there..

6. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

How long before there will be a Stop Light at every cross street on Cleveland-1010? Perhaps there needs to be another road for local traffic?

7. Judge Smails

Judge Smails Well-Known Member

Honest question here, but is there a strong need for a light at that intersection?

I drive a lot for work and often go through that intersection several times per day at different times of the day and it seems it's busy mostly around rush hour times. Other than that I don't often wait more than 30 seconds or so to make a turn off Barber Mill.

Has it been especially dangerous? I don't recall seeing many accidents there but understand there certainly could be many I haven't seen.

8. cranky

cranky Well-Known Member

It is my understanding that intersection improvements there are connected with Cleveland HS, Rams Gate construction traffic counts rising and safety issues.

Rockyv58 likes this.
  9. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

Then throw in the new NorrisRd Middle School. I can only imagine how ugly it is to make a left onto Cleveland off Barber Mill. My only hope is they put sensors in making the light cycle quickly or traffic will back up fast on Cleveland. Which will produce a trickle down effect all the way to 42!

10. Judge Smails

Judge Smails Well-Known Member

Thanks much for the insight. I have lived within a mile or two of that intersection for nearly 10 years and, in my opinion, don't currently see a need for a light. It can be a bit of a wait during school bus times and occasionally at quittin' time, but I can understand with the growth it could be worse than I have seen. I honestly think Josephine/Cleveland would need one before Barber Mill simply for school start/end times because that intersection is a mess at those times.

11. lgb0250

This is already in the works. Surveying was completed last week. They are putting n either a light or roundabout, soon I hope.

12. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest also putting a traffic light where Josephine ends at Cleveland School Road. I know I usually sit there at least 5 minutes no matter what time of day, just to make a left turn. There are times I end up making a right turn instead and then make a left at Watkins. Maybe instead of a light at Josephine, maybe put a turn lane on Cleveland School road for Watkins

cynadon likes this.
  13. lgb0250

If they haven’t done it already to accommodate the school bus traffic they sure aren’t going to do it for basically cut through traffic from feeder rds!

14. cranky

cranky Well-Known Member

I may have misread it but I think the traffic circle / light was planned for Corwallis @ Josephine wasn't it?

15. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

Unless they are smart and widen the road, making one lane a pass thru Lane, and the second Lane is left turn (from barber mill to Cleveland) and both left and right traffic turns at same time. Then, there won't be so much of a back up on any roads

16. lgb0250

Correct