Coke moving plant to Clayton

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Gomer Pyle, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

2. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

But they aren't hiring ...

3. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Not hiring, immediately.
    However, I see a huge impact on the local economy. That's a lot of people coming into town, buying gas, lunch groceries, etc. Not all of them will all of the time, but in these days and times, it's a definite economic shot in the arm.

4. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

Maybe we can pitch the old Ashley's furniture store space to Red Hat. That would be a nice coup for the Town.

5. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

That would interrupt the eternal going out of business sale.

6. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

Any new business is a good thing (...NIMBY notwithstanding), but it's hard to feed one's family on what a forklift driver makes.

IMO, JoCo has a lot to offer industry- we just haven't achieved 'critical mass' yet. I think we're close, maybe five or ten years out.

7. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

I've always thought we were about 5-6 years behind Fuquay-Varina. People laughed at me when we first moved to Clayton 23 years ago. I told them someday we would have more than a Hardees, Pizza Hut and Dominos.

8. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Actually Johnston County has quite a few large big named business that alot of people really don't think about. There are the knowns such as SYSCO, Novo Nordisk, Talecris, Smithfield's, Hospira, and Eaton to name a few. What some people don't know is that Sprint also has their east coast distribution center in Clayton among other lesser known companies such as 3C Packaging, Girsberger, Becton, Dickinson and Co.

http://www.imagesjohnstoncounty.com/article/johnston-county-business-expanding-diversifying

9. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Any of them hiring? Does anyone know if these companies use staffing agencies or just the usual suspects (monster, career builder, etc.)? I look on here at the Johnston County jobs and see Talecris a lot, but not sure about how the others seek employees. Any help is appreciated. Trying to help my DH find a job (mechanical engineer by degree, but more experience with customer service management or inside/outside sales and management). Certainly would entertain anything you may know about. TIA!

Also, Turkington just moved here too not long ago.

10. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Not sure if it has changed or not but Talecris used to hire only through manpower, unless it was a specialized position requiring a doctorate. Not sure how any of the others are currently hiring or if they are. Might pay to hit the company websites and see if they have an HR link.

11. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Thank you!