Computer will not start

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by PoohBear, Jul 11, 2013.

1. PoohBear

PoohBear Well-Known Member

Having a problem starting desktop computer. I have to start, hit F12, and start computer in previous date mode. Any suggestions on how to correct this problem? I do not know how to isolate problem.

2. spy109

spy109 Well-Known Member

How old is this computer?

Are you talking about the Windows Restore service restoring you to a previous date?

3. PoohBear

Keep receiving message: "Windows host process (Rnndll32) has stopped working"
    I have found many suggested solutions but so far have not been able to correct problem. Very annoying. In some instances it blocks IE from opening.
    Still a work in progress! I hate computer problems. LOL

Auxie likes this.
  4. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

You most likely have a third party software "service" running that your PC does not like. The second would be an MS service / update conflict. That's assuming you're on Win7 or Vista?

3 tips when asking geeks to help you fix a PC:

1. They are Guru's, but they don't read minds, tell them what Operating System you're using.

2. A brief explanation of what you do most on it, surf, work, graphics, gaming, CAD, etc.. goes a long way in explaining your specific software demands on the PC.

3. The model / serial number on your PC. Think of it as your PC's social security number that they find it's age, mfg, hardware, etc. with.

5. PoohBear

Surf, Facebook, email, play poker online, maintain database for club, MS Word, MC Excel, etc.
    Dell Inspiron 545s - Mfg. date 20090602 - IE 9.0.8112.16421
    Current problem is I get "Windows host process (Rundll32) has stopped working"
    Pops up when I double click on IE icon. Prevents IE from opening. However if I hit start and open IE from there it never pops up. Only pops up with IE, no other software.

6. PoohBear

I believe I have resolved this issue. I uninstalled and reinstalled a couple of software programs and the issue is currently not there.
    I do have one final issue. I have been unable to uninstall SuperAntiSpyware. I uninstalled the software and it does not show up on the list of "all programs". However when I go to Uninstall and look at the list of programs it indicates I still have SuperAntiSpyware (59.74 MB). I attempt to uninstall and get the message "Error reading uninstall data). I even tried downloading a link from their web site to ininstall the software and that would not uninstall this program.
    I use Trend Micro Titatium and there appeared to be a compatible issue between these 2 software programs. That is the reason I wanted to uninstall.

7. PoohBear

Ended up having to reinstall SuperAntiSpyware and then reinstall. All is well with my computer. Thanks for the suggestions.