Computers, TVs Banned From Landfills Starting July 1

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by DontCareHowYouDoItInNY, Jun 2, 2011.

1. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Are you serious? Can we throw away anything anymore?
    Does anyone know if the convenience sites will have a recycle bin for this stuff?

http://www.wtsbradio.com/

Computer equipment and televisions will be banned from disposal in state landfills as of July 1, following a law passed last year by the General Assembly.

The law bans from landfills the disposal computer equipment, which includes laptops, desktops, monitors, printers, scanners and peripherals such as mice and keyboards. Other components of the law are designed to create recycling opportunities for discarded electronics across the state and to place significant responsibilities on electronics manufacturers to help fund and create those opportunities.

Citizens and businesses have a variety of options for recycling electronics in North Carolina. Most counties offer collection programs and more community programs are emerging. All computer manufacturers are required to offer at least free mail-back for their own equipment, and some offer additional kinds of recycling options. A number of retailers also offer recycling of electronics, as do some nonprofit and charitable agencies.

Computer equipment and televisions join a list of other materials banned from disposal in North Carolina, including most recently plastic bottles, wooden pallets and oil filters. As with previous similar measures, enforcement of the electronics disposal ban will focus on disposal facilities such as landfills and transfer stations.

2. Ron Still

Ron Still Well-Known Member

Where to take recyclable materials in North Carolina.

The state currently maintains a directory of who takes what at http://www.p2pays.org/dmrm/start.aspx. After the budget passes, I have been told that most of the information on www.p2pays.org will disappear, even if it is sole source.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  3. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I suppose you want heavy metals leaching into your water supply? These are the things that you end up drinking and build up in your system for decades.

They should be properly recycled.

4. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

Well, that response is of no help. Typical, instead of offering a solution, just tell the rest of us that we should do something to fix it.

There were only two lines in my original post - let me point out the second for you.

"Does anyone know if the convenience sites will have a recycle bin for this stuff?"

Since you already made your contribution to this thread feel free to move along and whine elsewhere.

5. pkc789

pkc789 Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting this. I am looking for a way to recycle and older computer right now.

6. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Those responses are becoming more frequent with their leaders gone.

7. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Ever think about contacting Johnston County Public Utilities department instead of asking a bunch of 4042 account holders what they think? All you're doing is making other people look up what you were too lazy to do in the first place.

http://www.co.johnston.nc.us/mainpage.cfm?category_level_id=499

Here's their number: 919-989-5075 back away from your bucket of chicken, lick your fingers and pick up the damn phone!

8. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Maybe you should take some Immodium AD and your posts won't be as frequent? Hmmmm....

9. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

numb nut

10. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

Yeah, because no one has ever posed a question on 4042 that could have been answered otherwise.
    Why don't you lick my fingers for me Cub Scout?

11. ServerSnapper

Tried that....Just caused a backlog of data ready to be spewed.

12. kevinsmithii

kevinsmithii Well-Known Member

you go Harvey

The op started like this:

Are you serious? Can we throw away anything anymore?

Well if Dont care would care enough to do some research then maybe they wouldnt complain about what we can and can't do with our trash. Our country seems to be a throw away society. More people need to understand and contribute to the recycling mentality to help preserve landfill space and the environment. We could do a little more research to find out the places where we can recycle more items. At thye convenient site all recyclables are put in one dumpster. perhaps this is the way .

I'm with Harvey on this one

13. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

So because other people are stupid enough to do this, that makes it okay. If you really wanted the CORRECT information you would go to the source and not ask on here.

...and are you seriously asking another guy to lick your fingers?

14. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

You people sure are touchy.
    Apparently, much like Harvey you didn't read past the first line.
    The article I quoted did not offer any suggestions on where to take this stuff, only that it can be recycled and that there are places to do it.
    This is what threads are for. Yes, my question can be answered with a yes or a no and it doesn't require a thread. But having been around here for a while, I realize that starting a thread about this sort of thing will bring lots of input. I didn't see anywhere that is stated we can put this stuff in the same bin as bottles and cans. When you are done being with Harvey, maybe you can offer a solution?

15. ServerSnapper

Harvey and CO just like to try and push people around by stating the obvious then trying to punish you for it. I mean why come on a public board to start a new thread? What's the point! :neutral:

I'm with you on this one. Start as many threads as you feel needed.

Those guys are just bored because they have no one to hate since their idol got banned. Now they have nothing to do but belittle people.

16. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

17. Redneck Rich

Redneck Rich Well-Known Member

I have a stupid question and hope I don't get blasted but if I use the drop site on Barber Mill do I need one of them tags?

This would be stickly for a TV sitting on my back deck.

18. kevinsmithii

kevinsmithii Well-Known Member

trash sticker

you only need a sticker to throw away trash at the sites. you can recycle without a sticker.

19. Straitlover

Straitlover Well-Known Member

I haven't been to the Barber Mill site in a couple of weeks, so I don't know if it's changed or not. If the TV has to go in the Appliances bin, I believe you do have to have a sticker for that. if it goes in the co-mingled Recycling bin, then you don't have to have a sticker.

20. Moe

Moe Active Member

E Cycler Is Awesome

I just dropped off a busted printer, copy machine, computer surge protectors and a scale at the E Cycler place on 1010 going toward Smithfield.

Here is the website (as posted on their sign):

www.itecycler.com

They will take just about anything that you can plug in. You just pull up, set it on the wagon/trailer thing they have parked there and drive away. There is even room to turn around.