Cornwallis and 1010

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by robbie, Aug 2, 2007.

1. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

What are they going to build now on the corner opposite Cleveland Elementary and opposite Coats Produce next to the little white house... I saw them flagging it out the other day.?

2. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Dollar General is going in that vicinity and a commercial development is planned.

3. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

I heard Dollar General was going in on hwy 50 near Don Lees.

4. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

They're everywhere, they're everywhere!

5. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

I heard (from someone who works for the design/engineering firm) that it's going to be a shopping center with a Harris Teeter!

6. Grinder

DG may be going on NC 50 at Don Lee's...dunno about that location. They are going, though, at 1010 and Cornwallis.

Dont get excited about a Harris Teeter yet. Nothing along those lines have been decided on or confirmed and the property isnt even zoned for commercial yet.

7. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

Yes there are always rumors about HT. None of them are true at this time according to my DH who is over the HT in this market :)

8. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Someone on this board posted a few months ago about a rumor that Kroger was going in there.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  9. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Great, just what we need....a Dollar General right smack dab in one of the most crowded intersections, close to a school.

Yippeee.......

10. froggerplus

froggerplus Well-Known Member

Such wonderful planning, Jen, isn't it. Gotta love our county commissioners headed up by our own Cookie Pope. Way to look after the community.

Do you think this is the push for incorporation here? The county commissioners get the community mad enough about all the sprawl and bad planning, so the community incorporates...and Ms. Pope seems to be all about it.

Frogger

11. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

Oh no...yuck...gotta love development, that is my back road!!! Now the back roads are getting overcrowded even more!!

Gee...why not WalMart there too????

12. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

I agree that its a terrible place for a shopping center, right there between 2 schools!!! Better be hiring some security guards for the schools! Not to mention the increase in traffic.....what a headache!

13. jdk

jdk Well-Known Member

a while back my neighbor told me a retail shopping center was going to be
    somewhere on 50 and they have had some tenants sign a leasing contract
    such as talbots and ann taylor

a friend of mine that worked at talbots has confirmed it for me and she doesn't know anything else just that they did sign a contract for somewhere in this area

she also showed me a letter stating that although these companies did sign a leasing contract they wanted to fill the entire shopping center and until that was fullfilled they would not start building

has anyone heard any info on that? please share

14. Grinder

The hope is to get a grocery store on that tract. That is the wish so far. Basically if the tract gets rezoned to commercial, then its whomever shows interest and wants to put their store there. As far as i know, there are no particular stores being courted.

15. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Just past cornwallis on 1010 it looks like a road is being built. What is that now? Good grief will it ever end? Are they going to widen the road there also for a center turning lane?

16. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Talbots and Ann Taylor in JOHNSTON County? Will they sell overalls and flannel shirts???:rolleyes:

17. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

that could be the funniest thing I have ever read.....:p

18. #1grandma

#1grandma Well-Known Member

Planning Board and County Commissioners -- STOP the commercial building in Cleveland Township. WE don't want anymore!!!

19. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Seems like we have one of two choices: Incorporate and make our own community based decisions or let JoCo continue to dictate.

It seems to me that if and when we can decide to act on our best interests, we may probably want to have new faces and voices as leaders, not recycled career politicos. We could do no worse, and might do better.

So, I wonder how many homeowners are going to like what happens to their property values when the DG is open? Somehow, the silver lining that, 'Well, at least my property taxes will go down just doesn't cut it.

20. Soccer26

Soccer26 Guest

It looks as though it would be another housing development to me. It doesnt make much sense to have a shopping center right there. Has anyone heard anything more concrete about that site?