Cornwallis Bridge-- completion??

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Abdulina, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Just curious as to if anyone knows an end in sight date? I heard from somewhere it will be the end of October? Does anyone know for sure when we can venture out on this road again? I'm really ready. Never realized just how much we used that road till we couldn't anymore. Thanks in advance.

Stephanie-- mom to 12

2. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

I have heard October 7th and 9th--I hope it is close to that date.

3. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

4. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

The project engineer told me mid-October. Go straight to the source.

5. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Yay! That makes me very happy!

6. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

mid October 2013 or 2014?

7. tukasiya

tukasiya Well-Known Member

Project Engineer said that 2014 was an "error". Remember, this is DOT we are talking about.

8. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

be fair... they did finish the downtown Smithfield bridge early.

9. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

This is what I received:

The project for the new bridge over Swift Creek is on schedule, which calls for the new bridge to open in late October or early November. The bridge was closed July 8 to allow the contractor to stage for actual construction, which started about two weeks later.

As an FYI, once the Swift Creek bridge opens, a second bridge replacement project on Cornwallis Road is expected to begin. This one involves the 62-year-old bridge over Mill Branch Creek, southwest of the Swift Creek bridge. That second project is scheduled to take 105 days from the start date. For the second project, a detour route using Cleveland Road, Old Drug Store Road and South Shiloh Road will be in place.

NCDOT Contact Us

10. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Well the second paragraph just shot down my woohoos:cry:

11. michelle

One more week!

12. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

Just a reminder that "they" (NC DOT) does not build, they hire contractors to build. "they" dont finish early the contractor does.

13. michelle

I don't care if the Pope himself builds it, I'm just ready for it to be done. :jester:

14. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

I'm with Michelle, I don't care who or how it gets finished and re opened as long as it is SOON!!! Send up the Bat signal and bring in a group of Super Heroes, that would work for me... So tired of de-touring around my elbow to get to my thumb!!

15. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I'll be glad when they open that bridge on Cornwallis. But I wish they would widen 42 from Walmart up to Cornwallis next. I get tired of sitting in single lane traffic of 15 minutes or so just to make it from walmart to make the right turn on to Cornwallis. During rush our in the evening.

16. Ridge

Ridge Active Member

Exactly where is "the 62-year-old bridge over Mill Branch Creek" they are referring to?

17. scbuff

scbuff Well-Known Member

I will be glad when they finish it up. Traffic has been terrible getting into and out the Cleveland area when you have only really one way in which is 1010. For people who commute to and from Raleigh everyday, you got to set aside extra time to get threw all the cluster

18. twisty

twisty Well-Known Member

The hubs and I went down there Sunday morning to take a look. It looked complete with the exception of guardrails. He thought it looked like maybe a week. Anybody know any updates about the reopening date? I've been trying to be patient and not get batty but with it so close, I'm getting impatient!

19. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but there is no ETA for completion.

Evidently they need a impact study done post construction to make sure the rare mussels and sediment were not adversely affected.

The one guy that could do that has been furloughed by the government shutdown. Rumor has it that everyone has greed to fund that guy and get it opened, but Mr. Boehner refused to bring it to a vote so says the current Toddler in the White House.

20. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

Just being sarcastic here, but wonder why they need an impact study after the fact? If the rare mussels and sediment were affected what are they going to do? Tear it back down?

Doesn't quite seem to make to much sense to me...