Craftsman Mower

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Ecugyrl, May 25, 2011.

1. Ecugyrl

Ecugyrl Well-Known Member

Anyone here know of someone good to work on a Craftsman mower that is only 3 years old? We were told it might be the valves on the engine, but we are very hesitant that is the problem being the mower is not that old.

Any advice would help!! Thanks!

2. wadespeed1

wadespeed1 Active Member

Remove the spark plug, place finger in hole, pull the starter cord/turn the key. If you feel a puff on your finger, the compression (rings,valves, head gasket) are good to go. Engines are relatively simple, It takes fuel, compression, and ignition (spark) to run. What part are you missing?

3. Ecugyrl

We have re-built carburetor....changed the spark plug, changed the oil, checked everything and when you crank it, it runs good for a few minutes..then starts sputtering like it wants to turn off....and then it will straighten out, run good a few more minutes and do the same thing....it is a cycle...we have tried everything....we have a guy working on it now and he mentioned the valves were bad and if this were the case, the mower is pretty much no good...but we are hesitant to believe that since we have babied the mower from day one and is still relatively a newer mower.

4. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Actually from what you have said I'd more inclined to believe somethng like a dirty fuel filter or perhaps a bit water in the fuel system somewhere along the line.

5. wadespeed1

wadespeed1 Active Member

Lucky you. Your description eliminates two of the three elements for now. If it starts and runs for a while, the ignition and compression part are probably O'K.. Based on the description, I would look at an adjustment on the carb. or fuel contamination. To go any further, I need the make and model number of the engine.

Modern power equipment engines are fairly reliable. Electronic ignitions solved lots of problems of old. If you gap the plugs properly and run the fuel out prior to long term storage, you should have trouble free service for a long, long time.

6. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

running in cycles is probably a fuel problem. you mentioned rebuilt carb. fuel supply, strainer, float sticking, gummy jets, old gas, water, rust. don't know which engine, but an improperly adjusted governor will also cycle.

7. Ecugyrl

Thanks for all your suggestions...here is the Model Number of the mower....917.28713 and it is a Briggs and Stratton engine....20.0 HP, electric start, 6 speed transaxle.

8. wadespeed1

wadespeed1 Active Member

Here is a site that may contain specific recommendations for your issue.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=180857

I still suspect a fuel issue, but all indications are that the Nikki carb lacks adjustment screws and either works or doesn't. If the gods were kind on a certain day in the shop and the carb was rebuilt properly, I would look towards the fuel pump and to the carb bowl for contaminates.

Is this issue associated with spring start-up?

9. wadespeed1

wadespeed1 Active Member

10. Ecugyrl

I have a running mower and good at that! It was a bad carb...replaced it and works like new!! WOO HOO!

11. wadespeed1

wadespeed1 Active Member

I love a happy ending.