Craigslist

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by HidesinOBX, Nov 7, 2011.

1. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

I've been listing some of my furniture on Craigslist. I'm aware of scams, but wondered about a response I got today. The guy said that he and his wife wanted to come over and see the table and chairs and asked me to call him with my number and address. His number is for an area code in Texas. It also had a church name in the email address. I emailed him back and stated that I was in NC and his number appeared to be a Texas area code. I didn't offer any more info and I didn't call the number. I know that alot of people have cell numbers from different states. Is there anything I need to be aware of here?

2. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

DO NOT GIVE ANYONE YOUR ADDRESS WITHOUT A REAL COMMITMENT OF SEEING THE FURNITURE!!!!
    AND have someone there with you so there's no issues. If you need me to come hang (and bring my little fren : ) ) I will. I hate people coming to the house that I don't know or that just show up (like the JW did this weekend) :?

3. HidesinOBX

LOL... you are sweet girl!! I got hitched this past year and now have a bodyguard, but if he's out, I know who to call. I wasn't about to call and give any info, plus they would have my number on their caller ID. Who knows what they would do with that info. I have to say that posting there is kinda weird because you never know who is going to call.

4. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Good advice HG. Please let me add that if anyone is selling a vehicle, and someone wants to come over for a test drive, please tell them to bring proof of insurance and valid drivers license (making sure it matches) and that you will photocopy the license before any test drive. Do NOT allow the person to test drive without you. And have someone there with you when you do the test drive. Now that many have smart phones, taking a picture of the person is a smart move, telling them its for your security. If they have a problem with that, I'd reconsider.

5. Ksokol22

Ksokol22 Well-Known Member

Hidesin, I had a similar problem on this site, actually. I posted an ad about childcare, and I got an email from someone (claimed to be a man) who typed broken english, wouldn't answer my questions, and then said he would send me a check to take care of his furniture payment (since he was out of town), plus a check for upfront payment for childcare. This website is for Johnston County, North Carolina, am I wrong?? He said he lived in Ohio... My point is, you never know who you are emailing. Do not share valuable information over the internet with someone you don't personally know.

6. HidesinOBX

Thanks for the heads up on all this. I appreciate it.