CSA donation shares for families in need

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by BanjoDan, Oct 28, 2017.

1. BanjoDan

BanjoDan Member

I have a small market farm selling organic produce, mushrooms, and eggs starting it's inaugural season this spring. I'm doing a small CSA as well. A CSA is a where at the beginning of each season, customers can buy a share of the farm up front, and get a box of produce each week for the CSA time period. Anyway, I'm doing a fairly small CSA this year and it is mostly full, but I have had two out of town friends already inquire about buying shares to donate to families that might be on hard times and could use some fresh produce delivered to them weekly. I'm thinking I might go ahead and offer this as an option for people to buy at half price for donation to families in need. Probably start with 5 donation shares. I have no idea what the best way is to find families that this could most benefit. I'm aware of Plant a Row, which donates to the food banks, and they do amazing work (I have also sent an inquiry to them about this as well), but this allows people that dont grow food to contribute as well, and I have at least two folks willing to do this already, unprompted. If anyone could point me in the right direction or the right people to talk to, I would appreciate it. Thanks -Dan https://honestdirtfarm.com/

Sherry A. likes this.
  2. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

I have volunteered delivering Meals on Wheels for 19 years. There are many seniors that could use your products. I recommend you contact Community & Senior Services of Johnston County. Tel: 919-934-6066.
    Help the seniors of Johnston County.

3. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Best of luck on your new venture. I grow for Plant-a-Row, and have volunteered for Meals On Wheels before. They are both very good organizations. You might also want to contact Basic Ministries who accepts fresh produce donations. Be sure to post here when you're up and running. I'd be interested in a regular supply of fresh eggs.

BanjoDan and Hught like this.
  4. BanjoDan

BanjoDan Member

Thanks for the leads, ive sent out some inquiries based on y'alls input. DWK, i can do a dozen or so eggs a week right now beyond my own family's use, and will have eggs coming out of my ears by next fall, you'll need to talk to my six year old though, he's the chicken man of my operation.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  5. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

What a great job for a six year old, and teaches them a lot too! I'll contact you and your "chicken man" on your website, and maybe we'll get to be one of his first customers. Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  6. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Interesting aside about my time volunteering for Meals On Wheels: One of my favorite clients was an 84 year old woman who had fallen off a ladder while pruning her apple trees. She was on crutches after breaking her leg from the fall, so we delivered her meals while she was recovering. Even while she was on crutches, every week that I showed up, she always, without fail, took the time to make me the most delicious fudge that I've ever had - all while spinning some humdinger stories that I'll not soon forget! What a tough and resilient old gal she was, with an all too rare, heart of gold. I can only hope to be half of what she was at that age! Anyway, if you're looking for a volunteer opportunity, Meals On Wheels and Community and Senior Services of JoCo is definitely the way to go!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    Auxie, BobF and Hught like this.