Curing Salt?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, Mar 15, 2012.

1. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

2. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Is there a difference between "curing salt" (never heard of it) and kosher salt (what I normally use for curing)?

3. AnnetteL

Not really sure about that one,I do know that the curing salt is pink instead of white.

4. AnnetteL

Excellent!! Thanks! :)

5. AnnetteL

Found this:
    "Using Kosher Salt
    by: Bill

Salt alone won't actually cure the meat, but it's the addition of other curing ingredients that enhance the texture and cause the meat to retain its reddish-pink color. If the meat were brined with Kosher salt alone, it wouldn't have the bold pink color like hams and bacon.

Kosher salt is great for brining meats, and is especially good when used to dry-brine or dry-cure meats. The open texture of the grains of Kosher salt allow liquid that is pulled from the meat during brining to drain away easily. If finer grained table salt or canning salt were used, it would form a less porous layer of salt around the meat, and would tend to hold the liquid in."

Curing salt also contains certain nitrates which kosher salt does not,one of the reasons why supposedly you can't buy it in Canada legally,they're afraid you might want to use it making a explosive device ;)

6. Redneck Rich

Redneck Rich Well-Known Member

So what exactly are you up to? lol

7. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Whatever it is, I'm betting it will be excellent! She's an great cook. :cheers:

8. AnnetteL

:oops: Thanks kdc

9. AnnetteL