D. R. Wells & Pepsi

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by geekgirlie, Jun 25, 2007.

1. geekgirlie

geekgirlie Member

I noticed in the last couple of weeks that D. R. Wells stopped carrying any Pepsi products. (Had to substitute Diet Sun Drop for Diet Mountain Dew...ew!) Anyone know why they pulled Pepsi products from their shelves?

2. zookeeper

zookeeper Well-Known Member

No, but speaking of Pepsi, of which I've never been a fan (die-hard Coke person here). I was shopping and needed to pick up diet soda, which I detest because of the funky taste and aftertaste. Anyway, I saw a new diet Pepsi product called "MAX" and in small font - 'invigorating cola' - and after looking at the other choices, I figured what the heck, and bought the 2 liter size.

I am shocked to tell ya, it's GREAT! It doesn't taste like diet soda at all.

I don't know where they get the 'invigorating' line from, but no matter, good stuff. So good, I went the next day and picked up a 12 pack, this was about 3 days ago, the 2 ltr is gone, and so are 4 cans, three I drank, and 1 hubby downed - he didn't even know it was diet till I told him (he didn't have his reading glasses on and missed that part :lol:

Oh, BTW - just checked out wik - it says that the invigorating part is because it's supposed to contain ginseng and more caffine - just what I need lol

Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  3. mommy3

mommy3 Well-Known Member

I was in there last week and looked high and low for Pepsi. Asked at the counter and was told that they had not renewed their contract with pepsi because coke treated them better and gave them a better deal. I for one will go elsewhere for my pepsi. I just don't like coke products. But I also understand their reasoning.

4. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

That's the same thing they told me. I don't do coke either, so I'll have to go buy my pepsi stuff elsewhere.

And Zoo....that Pepsi Max is nasty! Ugh! Too Sweet!

5. zookeeper

Maybe I need all the sweetness I can get :)

Off to work - later guys

6. froggerplus

froggerplus Well-Known Member

Well, there's good reason to carry Pepsi in the Carolinas :? .

I hope they're more jockeying for a better contract and this is a bluff to Pepsi. I'd hate to stop frequenting D.R. Wells because they will no longer carry the "Pride of the Carolinas".

Frogger

7. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

FYI.. sale ends tomorrow.. but at Lowes Foods, buy 4 Pepsi product 12-pks for $11 and get 1 12-pk of Diet Pepsi "Max" free. So you could essentially get 5 12pks of MAX for $11, not too shabby a deal.

8. Tit4Tat

Tit4Tat Well-Known Member

Looks like we need a coke -vs- pepsi thread.

I love my pepsi...

9. zookeeper

Thanks for the tip tassy!

10. cvfdcaptain

cvfdcaptain Well-Known Member

what????

what happened to the theory of selling what the consumers want instead of selling what he wants us to buy? i for one do not shop at dr wells any more i mean for nothing!! his gas is always higher than most and when i go to a store i want to buy what i want not what someone else wants me to have !!!!! sounds like COMUNISM to me!!!!!!!

11. yes

well-said; agree!!

love diet pepsi.

12. Vitameatavegemin

Vitameatavegemin Well-Known Member

It's communism if it's the only store. You don't HAVE to shop there... (we need a civics lesson on this thread??)
    ...you can go to Fiddlestix, Food Lion, any of the gas stations on 42, you can drive to Clayton, Garner, Raleigh or Cary... feel free to exercise your freedoms.
    Mr Wells can choose what he wants to sell and how he wants to deal with his suppliers. He's exercising his freedoms. If this is how he can negotiate a better deal, more power to him.

13. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Mr. Wells is running a small business. News flash: they don't have those under communism.

In order to stay in business, Mr. Wells needs to make a profit. He probably pays as much to his supplier for gas as some of the cheap gas stations can sell theirs for. The same is true of his groceries, etc. Wholesalers give deep discounts to their largest customers, and they can pass the savings on to their retail customers. D.R. Wells prices are generally going to be higher than Walmart and Sheetz. No surprise there.

People shop at D.R. Wells for convenience. And for the meats, I hear they have the best meats around. So there are a couple of reasons to pay a little more - for the best meats, and to avoid driving 10 miles to another store for cheaper prices. It's a free country. Mr. Wells can offer what he wants for sale, and we are all free to buy it or not, as we choose.

Vita is right, we do need a civics lesson here.

14. PoohBear

PoohBear Well-Known Member

Agree 100% with this statement. Headed there today to get rib eyes for Saturday cookout. They are very tender.

15. GarnerGirl2000

GarnerGirl2000 Well-Known Member

Food Lion has Pepsi products on sale 4 for $11 and then you get one free!!!

16. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Me 2! :mrgreen:

17. zookeeper

I totally agree with you!

Mr. Wells is in business to make a profit, none of us work simply for the glory.

That store has tons more than your average convenience store, and the best darn meats in town. Everyone who works there is friendly and helpful. Unlike many convenience stores which sell gas, you can access their gas pumps when the store is closed, which is a huge convenience.

Go elsewhere for your Pepsi products, but please don't stop supporting The Cleveland Emporium just because the man stopped carrying a brand of soda.

As for 'The Pride of the Carolinas' - While Pepsi was indeed born not too far from here, I'm pretty certain it's owned by a bunch of Yankees now ;)

18. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Seriously! You'd stop shopping there just because they don't carry Pepsi?? I love that place so much I make special trips over there and I live near Archers Lodge! It's a haul over there, but they do have the best meats around!

19. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Hey, if they perfer not to shop there because he is choosing not to carry a specific product, thats their right as much as its his right not to sell that product. I try not to stop in there after an incident that occurred when we were slammed by Fran years ago...

20. Beezor

Beezor Well-Known Member

That's what they say...DR's meat can't be beat!