Daughter's Toshiba Laptop Shutdown Need Help

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by Sherry A., Mar 27, 2010.

1. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

If I turn her computer on a blue screen comes up and asks me to pick different categories....like Restore, Run A Fix, etc. I have tried but cannot get to Windows. I have all the original disks but am lost and she needs it for school. HELP!

Sherry

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  2. trev47

trev47 Well-Known Member

It would be helpful to know some of the information in the blue screen. There is usually an error type and there will also be some numbers following the word "stop".

You can try pressing F8 when the computer is booting, and first select "last known good configuration".

If that doesn't work, try to access safe mode. If you can access safe mode run a virus scan, and a chkdsk.

3. appcomm

appcomm Well-Known Member

Also, what version of Windows? XP (Home/Professional), Vista, Windows 7?

4. Sherry A.

Thank you. Will turn it on this evening and put what it says on here. Thanks so much.

Sherry

5. Sherry A.

When we turn her computer on here is the message that is shown:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is your first time seeing this stop error screen, reset your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps, Disable/Uninstall any anti virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer.

Technical Information

***STOP:0X00000024(0X0000000000190444,0XFFFFFA8006BBB330,0XFFFFFFFC0000102,0X0000000000000000)

Thanks,
    Sherry

6. trev47

trev47 Well-Known Member

Did you try to boot into safemode and run chkdsk?

The error that you are getting is related to your harddrive. If you can't get into safemode then you can try booting with your windows disc and running the recovery console and running chkdsk /R

7. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

If safemode doesn't work. Chances are you will need to have someone save the date on the HD. Then have them rebuild with the restore disk.

You can always go get an external drive case from BestBuy or tiger direct on capital Blvd. Pop your daughters HD in that and connect t6o your computer. Scan it first for viruses. Then locate the data she wants to save. Copy to your machine. After you do a system restore on her machine (F10) after bios boot, let the machine go back to factory defaults. Reattach External drive to her machine. Copy data back to her laptop. Just an idea.

8. Sherry A.

SS,

Sounds confusing too me. You know I really don't understand the language. I'm a dork.

Gonna try the post above yours. I do have a MyBook that I backed her stuff up on about a year ago. Is that what you are talking about?

Sherry

9. Sherry A.

bump.....still cannot get it back to Windows!

Sherry

10. ServerSnapper

It's simple Sherry.

Go to best buy. Walk up to the geeksquad. You will be charged about 150.00 to get your data.

OR

Buy an external hard drive case that will accept a 2.5 inch HD. 15.00 to 19.00 bucks. Take out your daughters hard drive. Put it in the case. Attach to your computer via USB. The new drive will show up as a mass storage device on your computer. Locate with your daughters assistance the data she wants to retain. Copy to a new folder on your desktop or my documents folder. When completed. Restore her laptop to OEM standards with the OEM restore disk. It is this simple.

11. simpler even yet is for you to go to her house to service it,,

12. ServerSnapper

Um...I am more expensive than the geek squad. I charge 125.00 an hour for this knowledge. Two hour minimum. But I do have guaranteed results.

13. FoxChassis

FoxChassis Well-Known Member

Sherry:

You will have to know what type of hard drive (IDE or SATA) is in the laptop before you buy an external enclosure. If you do not know how to take the hard drive out so you can look at to figure out what type it is, Google the model number along with "specs" in your search and that should tell you.

Here is an IDE enclosure for $13 shipped:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182145

Here is a SATA enclosure for $15 shipped:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182138

If you cannot do this yourself and do not want to pay someone hundreds to do it for you, PM me. You will have to buy an enclosure though.

14. VivianS

VivianS Well-Known Member

Or you can support a local business and go to Suff4Office on Main St. in Clayton, have your data backed up and laptop repaired for a very reasonable price. They will do a free diagnostic and a free estimate on how much it will cost. :)
    I wouldn't go to Geek Squad, they take FOREVER and are expensive.

15. Sherry A.

Thanks to everyone. Now I have several options. Glad to know you guys.

Sherry

16. ServerSnapper

Just remember I am a technical super freak. My hat has many brims.

DISCLAIMER: In no way do I endorse geeksquad. They suck and are usually following a script. There tools are on a premade CD. No human interaction except by sales people.

SS is a licensed professional. MTV insist that no one attempt to do or try the stunts performed. They are done by a professional. Who can't spell.

17. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

So, how do you REALLY feel? :lol:

18. Sherry A.

How do I boot with my Windows disk?

19. Sherry A.

Pressed F8 and am now in Windows. I'm running a virus scan now. Thank you so much.

20. Sherry A.

It's working now! You are all wonderful.....but I followed the steps above and it worked...:hurray:

Sherry