deck stain

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by rntobe, Dec 3, 2013.

1. rntobe

rntobe Well-Known Member

Anybody have any information on what is best..? Cabot (lowes) or Behr (home depot)?

2. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

Of the two, I like the Cabot better, but my first choice is a product called Restore, put out by Rustoleum. It goes on a lot thicker (so you'll use a lot more of it), but it fills the cracks up to 1/4" and puts a protective coating on. It goes on just as easily as stain, and is supposed to last up to 10 years (I'll be happy if I get 6-7). There aren't a lot of places that carry it in stock around here - I had to go to Home Depot in Knightdale.

3. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

I was at Lowes yesterday and saw on one of their end caps a product called Olympic Restore It. Appears to be the same type of product as Rustoleums. I myself have not been a big fan of the Cabot. I've been using their solid stain on my deck and have to give it a new coat every year. Will probably try the Restore It when spring rolls around.

4. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

Just checked it online - looks very similar. The initial investment is more, but it should last longer, so you're not putting it down as often. I figure it's probably cheaper in the long run, especially when you figure the time you're saving.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  5. Navycut

Navycut Well-Known Member

My neighbor used Rustoleum Restore about 3 months ago. PITA to apply but it looks good and does the job of hiding a lot of 'blemishes'. Two coats are necessary and the coverage is much less than the 100 sq. ft. stated on the can.

It might be a good idea to read the reviews on Amazon. Many users recommend thinning it.

6. blumedenley

blumedenley Well-Known Member

We are currently using Olympic Restore It, we are almost done. It looks great and feels great. There are many colors. So far so good.