Did all automobile ins. co. have a rate increase this year or just a few co.?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Savealot, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Savealot

Savealot Well-Known Member

We have 2 young drivers and 2 adult drivers in our house. Our cars are 2 trucks 2002,2003, 2004 jeep grand Cherokee, 2012 ford edge.

= $7,000 A Year ?

Does that sound right? I know it is higher for 2 16 year olds but that sounds really high.
    Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. We do not have alot of extras on our policy. We do have full coverage. If one of the trucks were totaled or involved in a wreck we would have to pay for the repairs or another vehicle ourselves so I feel it is worth it to have collision also.

Thanks

2. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Sounds a little high, but you have 4 vehicles and 4 drivers, 2 of which are brand new drivers. Any tickets or accidents on the adults?

I pay about $1900 a year for an 09 Corvette and a 99 Suburban. Full coverage on the Corvette and liability and theft on the Suburban. I am the only driver, but I did have an accident almost 3 years ago (my only accident in my life), I'm 32 years old as well. When 3 years passes on my accident this December, I was told my premium should go down a bit.

3. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

When we added our older son only liability on a 1972 Cougar convertible to the policy with my wife and I with full coverage on each of our cars, the cost doubled. This was many years ago but the sticker shock from that was memorable.

4. molly2008

molly2008 Well-Known Member

Our kiddo is not quite on our policy yet, but we were told it would only be approximately another $100 per month for him. We currently have 4 vehicles (a full size 4X4 pick up, a 2012 Caravan, an 07 Dodge Caliber and an 01 Blazer for the kiddo to drive) plus our camper and it's still less than $200 mo with State Farm for full coverage on all of them. I'm looking at approx. $300/mo when he gets his license, but we will be dropping down to 3 cars at that time. What may be nailing you is that if you have 4 drivers and 4 cars, everyone has to be listed on one of them as a primary driver. At least that was my understanding when I called about the rates.

5. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Better call around now. We did, before adding DD. Shocked at the increase.

6. NJ2NC

NJ2NC Well-Known Member

Getting more expensive by the day. When I was a new driver, my insurance was $45 a month.

7. Savealot

Savealot Well-Known Member

Called around got same coverage for around $3,000 less a year! Can you say they were trying to rip us off! From $7,000 a year down to $4100 after calling around. That just shocks me that companies are allowed to do that. thanks for all the help.

8. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Appropriate for your Username! :D

9. NJ2NC

NJ2NC Well-Known Member

Savealot, you are truly saving a lot! Good job!!

10. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

I just hope you don't get a bill in a few weeks. That's seems a bit too good to be true. Good luck.

11. lawnboy

lawnboy Well-Known Member

You should shop your insurance every 2-3 years at most. I shop mine at every other renewal. Also, keep in mind your credit score affects your rate. Unfair BS, but that's the way it is

12. Straitlover

Straitlover Well-Known Member

Some new thing passed this year where they price the insurance by your zip code rather than by set areas or soemthing. Story I read some people's would go down but some could go up by a lot.

Here's the AAA article I read:
    http://insurance.articles.carolinas.aaa.com/article/north-carolina-auto-rate-changes

Of course they don't really say much because they want you to call and they can try to talk you into buying from them.