Direct TV vs Dish

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by 1pittsburgh, Aug 24, 2010.

1. 1pittsburgh

1pittsburgh Well-Known Member

We currently have Direct TV but are thinking about switching to DISH. One of the reason is the bundle with the land line and internet. We have had DISH in the past but that was a long time ago. Does anyone have any options of which is the best as far as customer service and other issues? Do you know if the Center Ice can be broken up into 4 payments like Direct TV?

2. Doesn't DirecTv have a similar bundle package with AT&T?

3. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

Well DISH is out right now if you want an opinion on reliability!

4. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

But isn't that a problem with all satalites, not just Dish.

5. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

I had Directv for the last 8 years, and just cancelled it in June. No issues with customer service really, just looking to cut some bills for the summer, and didn't want the kids in front of the tv all day. I never had any issues with customer service, but I do plan on going with Dish now, their prices seemed better. And we're just getting the basic package, but unfortunately there will be no Speed or Animal Planet for my son...

As far as Dish being out right now, I can tell you that Directv probably is too, anytime we had storms. It just goes with the territory...We just ran to Lowes Foods in the rain (well, not "ran" we drove LOL) and got movies for the boys today. Last day home, I'm gonna let them just chillax (as my son says)

6. Navycut

Navycut Well-Known Member

Dish TV

I have Dish and had the technician here this morning. If it even sprinkles, one of the receivers goes out. You have to check the weather before watching a movie. He switched the aiming gun on the dish.
    All kinds of promos and had the 250 lineup for 12 months. Then the bill went from 68.00 to 101.00 per month. I have one year left with them and I'll be going back to TWC.

Trick is to get the promos for the life of the agreement.

7. pcroom

pcroom Well-Known Member

Had Dish, switched to Direct TV 2 years ago. No regrets!!

8. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

We love Directv. Switched from Time Warner.

9. lookinoutformyneighbors

lookinoutformyneighbors Active Member

Dish verses DirectTV

We have had both Dish and DirectTV. From a reliability standpoint, we have had far less issues with Dish. DirectTV used to have a mediocre customer support staff, but hopefully they have done better in the past couple of years since we dealt with them. I hope that this helps.

10. Crysta

Crysta Guest

We have Dish and are very happy with it. I love that we didn't get up-charged when we finally upgraded to an HD TV. The signal will go out during a bad storm, but not a small storm. Also, quite often when our dish signal goes down, our neighbors lose their Time Warner cable as well. It's rare that we are the only ones without service.

My only issue with the customer service was that we signed up through one of those special deals. After we got charged for a bunch of stuff they said we wouldn't get charged for, we found out that the specials are run through third party sales companies, and Dish claimed they couldn't honor anything they hadn't advance approved. Luckily we had gotten everything in writing, and so Dish honored everything and we didn't have to pay any extra.

11. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Switched to Free Hi Def and severed Dish and TW (for Internet), less expensive and other than HBO we really don' miss much.

12. softballmom

softballmom Well-Known Member

Switched from Dish to a good old antenna after they did not honor their agreement. My hubby misses Nascar, and we both miss the Food Channel, but neither of us misses the bills.
    I had Dish before I married my hubby for years with no issues. He had Direct TV , so we went with that, as we moved into his house. We switched back when his contract was up for the new at the time DVR service, and regretted it! I was promised a $100 rebate that I never got, so when my contract was up, I called to cancel, they offered me $5.00 off the bill per month for the next year. They really didn't want to keep me.
    I have never had cable. Satellite goes out when it rains heavily, as the receiving dish can't make contact with the satellite. You can't get around that.

13. areynolds00

areynolds00 Guest

We moved from DirectTV and RR to Dish-centruylink (phone/internet) package. We were very dis-satisfied with Direct and paying way too much for RR+directHD in 3 rooms. After moving to DishHD and DVR we got all channels including premiums in all 3 rooms, with 10M internet and phone. The package deal was cheaper than what we were paying for Direct and RR. The only time we have issues with signal is during very bad storms and heavy rain, but we have a bunch of stuff on DVR to watch!