Divorce Attorney

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ponychick, Jan 30, 2013.

1. ponychick

ponychick Well-Known Member

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive divorce attorney? For a simple no fault divorce.

2. elims

elims Well-Known Member

For simple no fault divorce, have you thought about picking up the paperwork and doing it yourself? It's really not that complicated, just some forms that have to be signed .. dated .. filed in order. Saves the money, if you both agree to it!

3. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

There is no such thing as a cheap divorce attorney; I agree, get the paper work and do it yourself.

4. ponychick

Any experience with do-it-yourself divorce?

I have definitely thought about it, but is it really that simple? I've had a couple of friends that tried to do it that way and it was not easy or uncomplicated. Lots of little things they didn't know and information not readily available. I've searched online and all the helpful websites are very quick to tell you, this may not be everything you need, and if you don't know what you're doing, contact an attorney.
    Has anyone here done it themselves?

5. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Also North Carolina is a Alienation of affection of state. so if the spouse was cheating you can sue the other person.

6. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Nolo.com

Every public library has a copy of the Nolo legal assistance manuals.

7. mcclouds6

mcclouds6 Well-Known Member

yes i have done it before. If both parties agree on everything and there is not equitable distribution then you can print up the papers online take them to the courthouse and have them served. Wait for your court date and then get divorced, as long as you have been separated for a year.

8. ponychick

9. Shadow Rider

Shadow Rider Well-Known Member

10. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

We see where your mind is.....:jester:

Sherry

11. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Well I lived in DE which also has the same laws. My Ex cheated on me. I found out later on about that law. I could of kept my home

12. mcclouds6

mcclouds6 Well-Known Member

ponychick that is how I did my last divorce, it worked for me so that is all I can say

13. MamaApe

MamaApe Well-Known Member

Jonathan Breeden is up at 4042. Very reputable.

14. elims

elims Well-Known Member

I did my own divorce ... to be honest, I thought it was scary and stressful because I was never quite sure if I was doing things right. On the day I had to appear in court, I was missing one of the pieces of paperwork so was denied .. ran home, found out what that form was, wrote it up with the dates and information needed, ran to the notary and made it official, ran back to the courthouse and appeared back in front of the judge in the same day and was granted the divorce. Everything DID turn out ok and it really was painless in the end ... and it did save a lot of money. Maybe call a few lawyers and get estimates and see if it's worth it to you.

If you do decide to do it yourself, DOCUMENT EVERYTHING. Dates you decided to separate, dates one of you moved out, dates you served paperwork ... keep track.

15. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

I agree, if you decide to go the attorney route, i have heard nothing but good things about him. You might want to call up there and talk to Teresa, his assistant, just to find out the cost and benefits of having an attorney handle for you.

16. ponychick

Thanks everyone, I've gotten a lot of great replies. Doing it myself still seems a little daunting, but it would definitely save money.
    I will also keep in mind the attorneys suggested.