Does anyone have CenturyLink DSL service?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Possum1970, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Possum1970

Possum1970 Member

I currently have Time Warner for internet service. However, I was considering changing to CenturyLink DSL. Has anyone had experience with them? If the advertising is true, it would save me some money, but I'm not sure about their customer service. Of course, I'm not too pleased with Time Warner or else I wouldn't consider changing.
    So I would appreciate your opinions.

Time Warner vs. CenturyLink??

BTW I already have Dish Satellite for my tv which I love. My problem is who should I get my internet service from.

Thanks. :?:

2. softballmom

softballmom Well-Known Member

I have it, had Sprint before it changed over. Never a problem. Never had to call Customer Service.

3. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

I have Centurylink DSL (formerly Embarq) and haven't really experienced any problems - so can't say too much concerning their customer service. We've been w/ them for probably 5yrs or more. :)

4. Oneqwkchk

Oneqwkchk Well-Known Member

We have it and have had a few issues with outages in the joco side of Angier area, but nothing recently. The people I have talked to have always been nice though.

5. ginger1989

ginger1989 Well-Known Member

We have it, too. Not too many complaints. It did go out often last summer when it got really hot, but this year, it's hotter and we have had no trouble.
    Customer service has been fine so far.

6. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

We switched from TWC to CentutryLink and we love it. Same speed, if not faster, than Time Warner. I had to call customer service a few times in the beginning and they were awesome.

7. hhicshg

hhicshg Well-Known Member

I have had the dsl almost from the time I could get it where I live. I have had some problems but they have all been cleared. I have only had a problem with customer service one time but it was just one individual in a call center and it was eventually handled properly. One thing I do with all the call centers you have to deal with is to document who I talk with, where they are, and the commitment they made to me. That seemed to help a lot in handling it.
    The service has been good and as stated before it is at least equal in speed or maybe faster.

8. Straitlover

Straitlover Well-Known Member

I have it. No problems w/ the DSL itself, but I did get cheated out of my rebate. I was supposed to get a $100 rebate when I signed up (received the offer in the mail). The paperwork I got from them in my welcome package said I qualified for the rebate. But when I sent in the paperwork for the rebate, they said I could not have it becasue I was getting a first year $5 monthly discount and you couldn't get both deals. No one told me I was getting a diso****. When I signed up, they jsut said this is your price ( I got a bundle); nothing about an additional discount over the bundle was mentioned. I am being charged the price I was quoted ($24.95 for the internet portion of the bill), not $5 less, so I did get cheated out of the whole $100, not just the $40 difference. I tried to fight it but got nowhere. Just be clear on what all you are getting up front.

I signed up for the 3.0 mbps, but looking at their website yesterday, that doesn't seem to be an option anymore. You can get 765 kbps, 1.5mbps or 10mbps.

My first year is up in September. I need to decide what I will do. Right now my whole bill (phone and internet bundle) is $66.19. Before internet, my phone bill was $23 and change (I didn;t ahve voicemail, caller ID, etc), so technically I am paying $43 for my internet. If I can find a better deal, I may switch to somethign else. I don't really need all that extra junk on the phone; I just got it because just adding internet w/ no bundle would have been the same total phone bill as the bundle w/ all the extra junk.

9. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Cable is actually much faster than DSL, but the way most of us use our computers we'd never notice the difference anyway.

10. Princess

Princess Member

Router

Does anyone use their own wireless router with CenturyLink? I got a quote the other day and to use their router it is $4.95 more each month. They said I can use my own, but if someone goes wrong with the internet, they will not troubleshoot with us to help us fix it. I don't know a whole lot about computers so I am afraid I may have all kinds of issues if I do not get their router.

11. krattie

krattie Well-Known Member

We've had the dsl service for a while and use their dsl modem but purchased a wireless router. The customer service reps helped me troubleshoot an issue between the modem and router when I first connected it and had problems. I had to contact CenturyLink after we moved and the rep still helped even though I didn't have their wireless router.

12. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

You would think, we got rid of both satellite (TV) and Time Warner (Internet & Phone) recently and found these folks to be faster (The geek (my better half)) tested it.

We did have a few calls initially and then lost service a couple of days a week later but have not had a problem since.

13. Cable has the potential to be much faster than DSL but if you are far away from a node? and a lot of people in your neighborhood are on at one time, then it can be slower. Obviously this is all relative to your selected speed that you've purchased.

DSL has a dedicated line that only you use.