Does anyone just pay for Wifi?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by jlc007, May 28, 2016.

1. jlc007

jlc007 Well-Known Member

i know this is a topic I've brought up before but unfortunately, we're at the financial point that we need to dump cable and phone.
    Is there a company (besides TW) that offers just Wifi so we can at least watch Netflix and use our cell ?
    With TW it would be around $100. Ugh
    Thanks everyone!

2. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

I pay $65 a month including taxes and fees with Time Warner Cable for 200 Mbps Down / 20 Mbps Up for internet, and I get like 30 channels as well, no cable boxes. If you had one of the slower plans, it would be like $45 a month.

jlc007 likes this.
  3. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Just saw Charter advertise it for $29.95 a month. Don't know the speed, and not sure if they have merged with TWC yet, but worth calling and asking about.

jlc007 likes this.
  4. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Charter and TWC just announced they are forming Spectrum ...... got the letters in the last couple of days.

dgsatman likes this.
  5. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

It was actually Spectrum I saw advertised, but it referenced Charter.

jlc007, Romeo and Wayne Stollings like this.
  6. Straitlover

Straitlover Well-Known Member

If you can get Centurylink in your area, they have internet only. High, though. I had asked about dropping my home phone, and it was going to be over $50 plus fees for my 3MB DSL that I currently have. They don't even offer that speed to new customers anymore.

I am thinking of changing to TWC, but I don't know if I should do it now or wait until the merger. Their website said I could get 50MB for $39.99 promo price (was on sale for 34.99 but I don't know if it expired or not). It's jsut me, so that is more than fast enough!

jlc007 likes this.
  7. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

jlc007 likes this.
  8. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Did anyone else get a letter stating in our area Time Warner cable it switching to Charter. or what ever their new name is

9. jlc007

jlc007 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the advice....Not sure if we'd be able to take advantage of Spectrum's offers once the merger takes place since we're an existing customer and all the "deals" seem to be targeted at new customers only.
    I know the last time I called TW they wanted close to $100 with all the fees and such :-(

10. Romeo

Romeo Active Member

I've been able to talk them into giving me the new customer price when my current pricing expires.

11. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Just call up and complain and threaten to cancel. That's how I got their fastest internet and basic cable for $65/month with fees and taxes for like 2 years. Then I just call up and complain again and get the same price again.

12. cranky

cranky Well-Known Member

As of last year when we dropped them, Centurylink could only max out at 3mbps around Cleveland School. We had serious loss of bandwidth at most times of the day normal people use internet and we had 3 issues with lightning strikes frying the modem. went back to TWC with three times the speed. Pretty happy so far.