electric cord with a thermostat

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Concerned Person, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Concerned Person

Concerned Person Well-Known Member

Hello Everyone!

I have a water pump that I use to water flowers and garden in the summer. I have to have a heat lamp in the pump house to prevent the water pump from freezing. I am looking for sometype of device or electric cord that will come on when the temperature falls to 32 degrees or below. I hate to leave it on all day to run up my electric bill.

Has anyone come across one or tell me where to purchase one at?

2. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

3. 740i Guy

740i Guy Well-Known Member

Those are great choices from CraigSPL.

But if you have a bit of electrical experience, you could salvage the therm-switch out of most any old space heater. I would suggest slightly insulating the switch. The temperature resolution might not be that great, maybe +or- 4 degrees, but it sounds like you don't need great precision.

4. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

Hog Slat Inc in Newton Grove sells them. We use them in the shop and greenhouses. Agri Supply might have them. Its a 15 foot cord with a plug like christmas tree lights and a thermostat on the other end.

5. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Another 're-use' option is any old HVAC thermostat. You'll have to add a 120v relay ($2) to turn the power on and off, but the accuracy of temperature control will be more precise. If it's copper pipe you can mount the thermostat to the pipe. You'll then be reading closer to the temp of the pipe and not pump house ambient temp.

For the non-DIY'er use one of these:
    Ace Hardware - Easy Heat Freeze Free Preset Thermostat (EH-38 ) $21
    The closer you can locate this Thermostat to the pipe, the more you'll save in energy costs.

If you'd like the complete kit for the safest way, least energy use, and only $7 more: Pipe Heating Cable Kit (Check local suppliers for this too)

Then you can turn off the light.:)