Electric or gas heat

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by mandmdad, Jan 9, 2011.

1. mandmdad

mandmdad Well-Known Member

Need to replace my heating system and have both gas and electric available. Anyone recommend one over the other? Heard gas heats better but not sure natural gas costs more?

2. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

I just heard from a friend of mine that natural gas went up quite a bit,as far as the type of heat goes I think I'd still prefer gas over electric.We've got a great wood stove but Saturday we used the electric heat since my husband had to get some more firewood first,I never seem to find a "ideal" heat setting while using it,either I'm too hot or too cold.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  3. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Gas heat feels warmer than electric. Our last house had gas heat and it was wonderful. Our current house has electric and I am often cold. We have a propane heater in our garage. When we run that it is often warmer in the garage than in the house. Gas heat IS more expensive! We found having a gas fireplace can kind of make up the difference. If I'm really cold, I'll turn the fireplace on for a bit and it will make our living room and kitchen quite toasty. The fireplace is also a life saver if the power goes out.

4. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

Gas heat is costing me a small fortune every year. Electric would be about $100 - $200 during the winter, gas is $500-$600.

You make the call.

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Here in this part of NC, a heat pump is sufficient for heat. I saw the bill for a partial fill up for the tank at work for gas and it was $900. And it wasn't FULL yet! Holy crap!!

Got a new heat pump last month and it is MUCH better than my old one efficiency wise, went from 10 Seer to 15. Anxious to see my first full electric bill with it vs the old one. Now, gotta scrape up the funds to get the second one for the downstairs replaced, but it still works for the time being. The one for the upstairs was on life support. :lol:

I am going to get some gas logs installed just for the heck of it. It would be nice to have that "warm" heat once in a while.

6. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

You can tell which type of heat our dog prefers ;)
    [​IMG]

7. Jenna's Mom

Jenna's Mom Well-Known Member

Wonder how much a supplemental gas unit to heat one or two rooms would cost if it was even possible? I prefer electric because of the cost is a lot cheaper, but when the power goes out in winter, it sure can get cold out here. We were without power during the Christmas storm for about 30 hours, it dropped to about 55 degrees in the house by the next morning. Not too bad, but still a bit chilly considering we were eating Cold Christmas leftovers.

8. Quincy8Boy

Quincy8Boy Well-Known Member

Just using gas logs for heat when were home in the living room, cost us $130 last month from Ethco.

9. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

We bought a kerosene heater from lowe's last year, just in case the power goes out. I just found an additive that you can add to tame the smell of the kerosene. It smells like cinnamon. We have gas logs, but I didn't want to depend on that alone if we lose power. Last storm, some friends of ours near Pine Hollow lost power for about 24 hours. Not fun!

On the gas vs. electric debate, I prefer gas, but electric is cheaper. Even though my last Progress Energy bill was almost $300!