Electronic Cigarettes - anybody tried them?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by michelle, Nov 24, 2010.

1. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Looking for recommendations for which brand to buy my mama. Anybody ever tried them? Did you like them? Where can I buy them?

Thanks!!

2. hhicshg

hhicshg Well-Known Member

I have 3 different kinds. I didn't mean to do that but it wound up that way. I like the ones I got at JR's best. You can get the nicotine in a couple strengths. Originally I would suggest the strongest one then she can back down on the strength. They do work pretty well but it will depend on how devoted to quitting smoking she is. They are wonderful for going out or to someone's house or riding in the car. The initial set comes with 3 cartridges. One is menthol and the other two are regular but different strengths of nicotine. It sure beats buying cartons of cigarettes.You can look at these online at www.smokestik.com.

3. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. Looks like I will be going to JR's this weekend! I needed to go to the pottery anyway so that will give me a great excuse!

4. Melynda

Melynda Well-Known Member

I was planning to buy these for my Mom for Christmas ... but I may wait until more research has been done after reading this article on aol today.

http://www.aolhealth.com/condition-...e-health-risks?icid=maing|main5|3|link6|29634
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']E-Cigarettes Should 'Yanked From the Market'[/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']By [FONT='Times New Roman','serif']Catherine Donaldson-Evans[/FONT] [/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Smokeless electronic or [FONT='Times New Roman','serif']e-cigarettes[/FONT] are harmful, come with a host of health risks and should be yanked from the market until their safety can be vouched for, according to new research.

Scientists at the University of California, Riverside, evaluated five brands of electronic cigarettes and found numerous flaws in their design and labeling, as well as several environmental and health hazards.

While regular [FONT='Times New Roman','serif']cigarettes[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] burn[/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] tobacco, e-cigarettes turn nicotine into vapor. Other chemicals in the product's plastic cartridges are also vaporized into an aerosol when they're heated.

Though e-cigarettes don't emit the dangerous toxins produced by [/FONT]
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']burning[/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] tobacco, little is known about the nature of the chemicals that are breathed in by e-cigarette users.

"They're inhaling we don't know what kind of plastic material or residue," New York City pulmonologist Dr. Len Horovitz told AOL Health. "We know there isn't [FONT='Times New Roman','serif']cigarette smoke[/FONT], but plastic that's been heated is carcinogenic. This is not a big leap of faith to believe that the plastic in e-cigarettes when heated is a problem -- never mind what else is leaking."

The study authors, whose findings appear in the December issue of [FONT='Times New Roman','serif']Tobacco Control[/FONT], say there has been little to no research on e-cigarettes to properly evaluate their risks.

"Some people believe that e-cigarettes are a safe substitute for conventional cigarettes," lead researcher Prue Talbot, the director of UC Riverside's Stem Cell Center, said in a statement. "However, there are virtually no scientific studies on e-cigarettes and their safety."

Talbot said the UC Riverside team found numerous problems with the product, including the lack of appropriate labeling with warnings and information about the contents of e-cigarettes; a tendency of the cartridges to leak, which could expose people to nicotine; a lack of disposal method for e-cigarettes, which could cause contamination of the environment; and the absence of regulation of the manufacture, distribution, sale and marketing of the product. Currently, e-cigarettes are available online and in stores and malls across the United States.

"Our study -- one of the first studies to evaluate [FONT='Times New Roman','serif']e-cigarettes[/FONT] -- shows that this product has many flaws, which could cause serious public health problems in the future if the flaws go uncorrected," Talbot said.

Talbot and co-author Anna Trtchounian analyzed the design, nicotine content, labeling, leakiness, malfunctioning parts and other aspects of NJOY, Liberty Stix, Crown Seven (Hydro), Smoking Everywhere (Gold and Platinum) and VapCigs e-cigarettes.[/FONT]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']"There is a tremendous marketing push to get these distributed and approved," Horovitz said, adding that he would never recommend his patients use e-cigarettes when trying to quit [FONT='Times New Roman','serif']smoking[/FONT]. "As soon as they [/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']run[/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] out, they'll go back to a real cigarette," he said. "They're doing exactly the same thing as smoking." The study was funded by a grant from the University of California Tobacco-Related Disease Research Program.

"More research on e-cigarettes is crucially needed to protect the health of e-cigarette users and even those who do not use e-cigarettes," Kamlesh Asotra, a research administrator at UC TRDRP, said in a statement. "Until we know any thing about the potential health risks of the toxins generated upon heating the nicotine-containing content of the e-cigarette cartridges, the 'safety' claims of the manufacturers are dubious at best." [/FONT]