Emergency in Garner at 5:00 PM tonight

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by barney726, Feb 14, 2012.

1. barney726

barney726 Well-Known Member

We were on US 70 heading west at about intersection with Hyw 50 in Garner heading toward Raleigh about 5:00 PM tonight. About 10 police vehicles flew by us with emergency lights and sirens on. Any Idea what the emergency?
    Were they late for their Valentine date?

2. TheSantaFeMan

TheSantaFeMan Active Member

FIRE!

4 alarm fire at Krispy Kreme in Raleigh! Oh, the humanity! LOL!

3. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Police Chase?

4. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

5. barney726

6. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

http://www.wral.com/news/news_briefs/story/10729426/

Raleigh and Garner police chased a man Tuesday afternoon after he fled from an officer who tried to arrest him on outstanding charges.
    The chase and subsequent wreck closed lanes briefly on Interstate 40 East near U.S. Highway 70.
    According to Raleigh police, officers spotted a car belonging to Stephen Earl Purnell parked behind a building on Poole Road. A check showed Purnell was wanted for driving with a revoked license and speeding. When he returned to the car, officers tried to arrest him, but Purnell hopped in the car and sped off.
    Garner police picked up the chase as Purnell headed east on I-40. They said Purnell's car eventually blew out a tire near mile marker 307 and flipped. He was taken to WakeMed, but he was expected to recover from his injuries.
    Purnell now faces new charges based on Tuesday's chase including assault with a deadly weapon on a law enforcement officer and felony speeding to elude. He will be arrested after he is released from the hospital and booked into the Wake County Jail.

7. Breezy18

Breezy18 Well-Known Member

This happened at around 2:45pm on Interstate 40 near Hwy 70. I was in the middle of it when I got on 40 from the 70 exit. He almost hit me and then blew his tire upon passing me!! Very Scary situation. I was blessed beyone measure as well as two other cars not to be "in" his crash. I thought he may have murdered someone the way the police were persuing him. I was a little upset that they put so many lives in danger for revoked licensed and speeding charges!!

8. Breezy18

Breezy18 Well-Known Member

1:45 was the correct time sorry.

I was on my way to my son's school for awards ceremony and valentines celebration. I am sure it backed the traffic up. I was on time as I continued on my journey instead of stopping to add to the mess as some others were doing and probably caused more wrecks!

9. barney726

different incident. the law enforcement officers we saw at 5:00 PM were nowhere near i-40 and headed away from i-40. i am confident they were headed to the dollar store that was robbed by a man armed with a knife.

10. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Based on the report of assault with a deadly weapon on a LEO I honestly believe they did the right thing. My line if thinking is that if he was willing to assault an LEO and flee the scene resulting in a chase what else might he have done just prior that prompted the fight/flee response.

Personally I'd been yelling `choot em `lisbeth......:mrgreen:

11. GarnerGirl2000

GarnerGirl2000 Well-Known Member

Personally I'd been yelling `choot em `lisbeth......:mrgreen:[/QUOTE]

hee hee love it! :)