Energy audits?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Harvey, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Anyone know of a company that does energy audits? I am looking for someone who comes out and shows you where your worst heat loss is (windows, cracks, etc.).

2. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Call your energy company:)

3. gdogg79

gdogg79 Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same thing a while ago, called Progress Energy and they weren't very helpful by phone. There are a bunch of recommended contractors listed on their website, but almost too many to be very useful. I never ended up following through with an audit so I'm interested to see how others respond.

4. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

5. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

I have to admit, I don't think I know a single person that has had this done.

Wasn't there a news story during the summer that basically said that these audits have a high percentage of scam?

6. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I am sure they do. This is why I am asking around. I recently had a new HVAC unit installed and it has a bit more power so I figured a good analysis of where I need to seal up the house better would be helpful.

7. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

8. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

Completely understandable wanting a more energy efficient home. I think the show I watched on it mentioned to find someone using infrared cameras to show heat transfer, but can't say for sure.

Good luck! Post if you are successful.