ENT

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by robbie, May 23, 2010.

1. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Is there a thread on ENT's, I didn't look, but am looking for referrals and stay away froms for ENT's. For sinus problems and possibly sinus surgery. Thanks! Wake or Johnston county only.

2. Jenna's Mom

Jenna's Mom Well-Known Member

I do NOT recommend Eastern Carolina Ear, Nose, and Throat in Smithfield, NC. I had to get my son a hearing test so he could go into a public school special needs preschool program (he is diagnosed with Autism). The school system recommended them to me (I wish I had just gone to Raleigh to begin with now, but was trying to save me some gas and headaches).

Anyway, I scheduled an appointment for a hearing test. When the appointment came, I went in with him, let the staff know he had some sensory issues because of the Autism. They go to look in his ears, he fights bloody murder, he had waxy build up. Because he fought so hard, the PA said we'd have to sedate him to clean his ears and test him a few days after that.

I'm not surprised about the ear cleaning being needed and with my kids (both on the spectrum) sedation is probably the best way. We were scheduled for the cleaning at the hospital and everything for that went well.

About a week or so after the cleaning I go back to the Smithfield office for the post op follow up. They looked in his ears and were about to just send me on my merry way when I mentioned the reason he had to be seen and have his ears cleaned in the first place, was because of a hearing test. The staff give me that deer in the headlight look cause well, apparently no one KNEW that. Finally, he got a partial hearing test because he was uncooperative and we were referred to UNC for the hearing test. Of course, that appointment first available was like 3 months away!

It was apparent that it stressed the staff. I feel though when I told them that I needed an appointment for a special needs 3 year old that they would have told me even at the first consultation whether or not they could have handled the patient. I had already spent over a month jumping through their hoops to get a hearing test only to be then told sorry, we can't handle your child (of course, this is the GOOD child that is pretty easy to work with. Heaven knows how they would have responded to Serenity who is severely autistic, mentally retarded, and developmentally not even 2 years old) of course, biologically she's 7.

They may be able to handle sinuses and adults well, but I cannot recommend them for children.

3. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

4. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

Love Love Love Dr. Robert Jones with Mann Ear Nose and Throat. Been going to him for over 10 years. He did sinus surgery on me. Handles allergies for my husband and took my son's tonsils out. He even has a satellite office over in Clayton.

5. sdw714

sdw714 Well-Known Member

6. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I agree with Jennasmom. Never thought they diagnosed my mother's brain, mouth and neck cancer as soon as it should have been. That's just my opinion.

Sherry

7. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

OK, Capitol ENT is it. Just waiting on the CT results. Thanks Everyone.